Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Default User Name

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Default User Name

I can't get the user names to default to the right person for logging in to ACT. Is there any way to change this? Its been the same since our company opened. Thanks for any suggestions!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Default User Name

I figured it out. I used the Act diagnostic program to look at the Database audit logs to view actions taken by users.  It showed me the user name there. To access, go to Start, then Run, then type: act7diag  (program name varies according to version you're using - support page below has a list)

Anyone else with this problem: There are step by step directions on the "User Name and Password Recovery" page of the Act website:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1415...

I don't know what I did when I first set up my Act database, but it's definitely some kind of default user name I would have never picked myself.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

What if it doesn't?  Mine does sometimes but not other times.

I have Act 7 (aka Act2005 for Windows). What is the username that the software came with? I am the only user and never changed it from the setup default or entered a password. It always came up automatically with an empty password field, and even though I've seen it a gazillion times, I never really paid attention to it. I would just hit the "Ok" button. Now I've done something, and it's not coming up, and I don't know what it is. Thanks!

In case this helps answer my previous question, it was something like Admin or Adm - I've tried both of those, so there must be more to them...
Platinum Elite Contributor

The software does not come with any username.

Usually it would be the name of the user who created the database ... or they could set it as anything else they choose

Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I figured it out. I used the Act diagnostic program to look at the Database audit logs to view actions taken by users.  It showed me the user name there. To access, go to Start, then Run, then type: act7diag  (program name varies according to version you're using - support page below has a list)

Anyone else with this problem: There are step by step directions on the "User Name and Password Recovery" page of the Act website:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1415...

I don't know what I did when I first set up my Act database, but it's definitely some kind of default user name I would have never picked myself.

Re: User Name and Password

I've been using ACT! 2012 for about 5 months. At no time was I prompted to choose a username or password.

Yesterday I tried to back up and restore my database (just to make sure those functions were working). When

I tried to restore from my thumb drive, a box popped up asking for my username and password and would not let me restore without them.

The salespeople at ACT! want me to pay $100 to have a tech "retrieve" them for me. But as I say,I never established a username or password. Are there default settings I don't know about. PLEASE HELP!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: User Name and Password

Hello Samrose,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

When you created the database, you would have had to complete a user name field. If you haven't been prompted to enter a user name or password, that tells me that you are the only user in the database and do not have a password. The user name is generally the same as the name on your contact record. Try entering variations of how you normally enter your name (ex: firstname lastname, firstinitial lastname, FirstinitialLastname, etc...).
Greg Martin
Sage