Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Default Letters Location

Copper Contributor

Default Letters Location

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

I use ACT Templates for all my letter and quote writing and I need to find out how to change the default location for where the letters are stored.

Right now they're being stored in my C drive in Documents and Settings and I need to change this.

Also, how do I change how the documents are named? The way ACT is doing that now automatically is no good for us.

Thanks in advance.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Default Letters Location

Hello Someone,
What version of ACT! are you using? Are you using the ACT! Word Processor or MS Word for your templates? If Word, what version?

ACT! stores all templates in the Templates folder in the database files directory for your database. This is the location ACT! will default to and this cannot be changed. If you choose to store these templates in a different location, you have to browse to that location whenever you need to access the template.

I don't believe there is a standard naming convention for the templates - you can name them anything you like. Word templates need to have the .adt extension and ACT! Word Processor template would have .tpl.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Hi Greg,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

We're using  ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 3 and use Microsoft Word 2003 as our processor. 

I guess this doesn't change anything re: saving our letters though, right? Smiley Sad

Unfortunately not - sorry.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I am using ACT Pro 2012 (Windows 7)- can we change location of letter templates in 2012?  Small office, running db on network with local installs. Sharing our db from the network.  There are templates on network as well on each individual pc.  Need to do some edits.  Do i  need to do edits from each PC? Hopefully not.. Smiley Happy 

The templates are connected and specific to the database. Editing a template while logged into the database makes the revised template available to all uses of the database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

THank you!