Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dates off by One Day

Dates off by One Day

[ Edited ]

Greetings!

I have one Act database that is shared by two users - say server machine and client.  When new contacts are entered by the client machine the server displays the Birthday off by one day.  For example I inputted a new contact on the client machine that has a birthday of 7/12/1973 but on the 'server' machine the birthday displays a date of 7/11/1973  I have checked the time zone and date on the server machine and it is correct - both stations are on Pacific Time and have correct time/dates being displayed.

I'm completely at a loss...I was told that it had something to do with the date/time stored in the SQL database side of things but how do I change this so the dates are displayed correctly on both machines?  Act support has not really offered any options

Your help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Kerry

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Dates off by One Day

All dates in MSSQL have a time component even if not used. When not used the time component is 12:00 AM. For the situation you described there shouldn't be ny difference. Make sure the daylight savings time is ser the same on both systems.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Was this never resolved? 

I am having the same issue.

Dates off in multiple fields by exactly 24 hours.

What's up ACT?

ACT! uses the system date time information. It doesn't develope separate date time information. Because SQL date fields with an unspecified time defaults to 12:00 AM, a 24 hour error typically indicates a problem with the system time zone settings or daylicht time settings.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes, Roy, thank you for your response. 

And of course, that is the first thing to check.

In this case, all three systems are on the same date, time, timezone, and receive their time information from the same Internet server.  So do you think that there is someplace where SQL would have set a timezone incorrectly, that is not being refreshed from the system time?  Or is this a program error in ACT?

This has to be the daylight time setting. I just checked by adding a contact to a database and added a birthdate. I checked what was actually in the database using the SQL managemeent studio and the create date stored both the data and time (GMT no offset) and the birthdate stored the date with the time as 00:00:00, in other words, midnight. Again this is GMT with no offset. The offset to GMT is applied by the local system to display the correct local time. If the daylight time setting is wrong, it can shift the local birthdate time off by one hour. Part of the year the local birthdate time would be 11:00 PM which would shift the birthdate displayed one day.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy, I appreciate your suggestion.   I have not had success with this idea though.

I confirmed that all three systems are set to the same timezone, same time, and all were on daylight savings time.  On one of the computers, which is not the database host, when you set a date in a date field, it shows on the other two computers as being one day earlier.

I changed all three computers to NOT adjust for Daylight time, rebooted all three, and tested, and there was no change in the situation.

Any other ideas? 

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the one machine has AM and PM flipped. If I was trouble shooting directly I'd install the SQL Server Management Studio on the server machine and verify the dates actually stored in the database though the evidense is strong that it is correct. I don't see this being an ACT! problem because ACT! depends on what is actually stored in the database with time and date offset supplied by the operating system.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129