Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Date of Birth Shows In User Field, not Contacts View

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Date of Birth Shows In User Field, not Contacts View

So I'm very new to Act! and have dealt with a few issues so far. This one has had me stumped and I have nowhere else to turn now. We have two users who work on a database. We have not had any major issues until one of the people who previously worked on the database left and was replaced with a new staff member.

Anyways, the issue here is that the Date of Birth for some users does not show in the contacts view, but does in their user fields. We want all contacts who we have that information for to have their date of birth shown in both the contacts view and user fields.

The pictures are shown below. Both images show the same contact (the one highlighted in blue on top and the one showing the user fields)

Date Of Birth Not Shown in Main Contacts View For Same User.jpgDate Of Birth Shows in Contact's User Fields.jpg

So my question is, as a total Act! beginner, what could cause this and how could I fix it? I have spent a few hours on it and have not made any real progress past this point. I tried researching online and was unable to find anything helpful either. Thank you!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author aarcese579
‎02-18-2016 07:26 AM

Re: Date of Birth Shows In User Field, not Contacts View

Hi there, looking at the screenshots I think that there is a problem with the layout of the Contacts showing the incorrect label. The first screenshot you have shows the List View, now the names of the columns here are always correct, there is no way that the list view can show the wrong information in the fields.

In the detail view though each field has a label which can be edited. I think that the label that says Date of Birth in your second screenshot is next to the incorrect field.

To check this you will need to open up your layout designer. Go to Tools > Design Layouts > Contact and click on the User fields tab. You should see a label that says Date of Birth, then a white box which will contain the name of the actual field. I suspect this will be different?

Assuming that is the case, unfortunately this means that any information entered into that field since this change was made has actually been entered into the wrong field. Any labels can be completely changed within the program, they can be edited, deleted or moved about. But the name within the white box is the name of the actual field. As you can imagine we would very strongly suggest that all labels exactly match the fields they are placed next to in order to avoid confusion.

All of this is fixable, though it will involve quite a number of steps. Essentially you will need to backup your database, make sure that your fields and labels are all in the right place, then you would need to find all the contacts where the data is in the incorrect field and swap that to the correct one. If you have a support contract in place, I would strongly recommend you get in touch with technical support so they can help you resolve the problem as easily as possible.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author aarcese579
‎02-18-2016 07:26 AM

Hi there, looking at the screenshots I think that there is a problem with the layout of the Contacts showing the incorrect label. The first screenshot you have shows the List View, now the names of the columns here are always correct, there is no way that the list view can show the wrong information in the fields.

In the detail view though each field has a label which can be edited. I think that the label that says Date of Birth in your second screenshot is next to the incorrect field.

To check this you will need to open up your layout designer. Go to Tools > Design Layouts > Contact and click on the User fields tab. You should see a label that says Date of Birth, then a white box which will contain the name of the actual field. I suspect this will be different?

Assuming that is the case, unfortunately this means that any information entered into that field since this change was made has actually been entered into the wrong field. Any labels can be completely changed within the program, they can be edited, deleted or moved about. But the name within the white box is the name of the actual field. As you can imagine we would very strongly suggest that all labels exactly match the fields they are placed next to in order to avoid confusion.

All of this is fixable, though it will involve quite a number of steps. Essentially you will need to backup your database, make sure that your fields and labels are all in the right place, then you would need to find all the contacts where the data is in the incorrect field and swap that to the correct one. If you have a support contract in place, I would strongly recommend you get in touch with technical support so they can help you resolve the problem as easily as possible.

You were right. I was able to resolve the issue in about 10 minutes.

I found what field the date of birth was mapping the data to and I set that to show in the column view for that field. I then browsed through and copied the incorrect data to the correct field and everything is okay now. Thank you!