Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Databse question

Tuned Listener

Databse question

Hello,

Before I try this on my own, I thought I'd check here.  One of our employees had to take a leave so another employee was taking care of her work.  For several reasons the first person's computer, which has ACT 2012 and is a user of our sales database, was physically moved and given to the second employee.  Employee#2 can't login to the sales database.  I am assuming this is because she now accesses this computer using her own credentials.  Can I just move ACT files from one user's folders to another user's folders? 

Additionally, the employee that was on leave will now be starting to do some work from home and will access ACT remotely on her new computer here in the office, which I had to buy a new ACT 2012 this morning for because we were using all available licenses already. 

So, what is the easist way to handle all this?  : )

Thank you,

Amy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Databse question

Really depends on your setup...

Are you sharing the database with multiple users?
If so, why is the database on the 1st (now 2nd) person's computer?

Or is the database that the 2nd user can't access on a 3rd machine?

How will you be doing the remote access?

You might find this useful:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/11/supporting-remote-users-with-act-by.html
Tuned Listener

Hello,

Sorry for the delay. 

There will now be 8 total users of the database.  The two computers I am talking about are here in the office, along with mine that houses the main database.  Employee#2 works both in the office and from home, so she uses Remote Desktop to just access it on days she is at home.  Employee#1, who took a leave and is now starting to do some work from home only, also accesses her new computer here via Remote Desktop.  Basically the computers are just here in the office and sync via our server.  (The other users are "remote" in ACT terms.) 

Employee #2 now has Employee #1's computer at her desk.  There are two Windows users on the computer, both employees.  When Employee #2 logs into Windows with her credentials and opens ACT, she cannot log in to the sales database.  If she uses Employee #1's credentials to log into Windows, then she can go into ACT and open up the sales database with Employee #1's log-in.  Can I go onto the computer that was moved and move ACT files from one users files over to another users files?  I then need to install ACT (the new 8th license) on the new computer of the person who is back working and get her set up again. 

Sorry so long.  I hope that makes sense. 

Thanks,

Amy

Those in the office should need to sync ... better to set up direct access.

For E2, I would delete the remote database and re-cut a new RDB for them

But really for 5 or more users, you should really consider having ACT! on a server rather than on your machine
Tuned Listener

Thank you!

As far as deleting the remote database, do I simply delete the files or do I have to do anything else?  I believe detaching would only pertain to a main database.

Thanks,

Amy

You won't be able to delete it till you detach it :-)

Back it up first ... just in case

The main reason to delete is to make sure users don't accidentally enter data into the wrong database that's no-longer sync'ing.
Tuned Listener

Ok, thank you!