Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database restore

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Database restore

Something happened that prevents me from opening my Act 10 database.  I used the 'restore' command and it did it's job and gave me a 'restored successfully' message.  However, I'm unable to located it when I go to open a database.  Can anyone help me out?  I have over 800 contacts that I need to access today.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mhartig
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Database restore

Thanks for the suggestions.  I believe I'm on the right path, thanks to the responses I received.  Will know more tomorrow when I try to complete the process.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Can you locate the database files at all, as you could try opening them directly? Perform a search for files with a suffix of .adf.

Also try the Restore again, do not complete it, but check to see to where it is restoring the files.

Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au
Copper Elite Contributor

Another thing to try is to run Actdiag.  Click on Databases then Database list.  Find your database in the list and scroll over to the right if necessary to find the "database location" column. 
Solution
Accepted by topic author mhartig
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions.  I believe I'm on the right path, thanks to the responses I received.  Will know more tomorrow when I try to complete the process.

I have my database installed on my Desktop/Laptop. On previous versions of ACT, if I backed up the Database from one or the other computeres, it simply added any new contacts keeping both Databases the same.

When I try and Restore now, I get a message I can only restore the database on the Computer it was backed up on ?.

Appreciate any assistance available.

Fred Grieve

Platinum Elite Contributor

To restore the database on a different computer you need to use Restore As and give the database a different name. I suggest that you look into setting up synchronization between the two systems.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you Roy,

Does that mean I have to Save As with a different name each time I Restore ?.

When you say syncronization between the two computeres, do I need a rocket scientist to do this ?.

Oh for the Good Old Days "Act 6.0"

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

To the same machine, No, to a different machine from the one where the backup was made, Yes. Synchronization is fairly simple to set up but the two machine need to be networked together.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129