Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database on 2 Computers

Database on 2 Computers

Many years ago, when ACT first came out, I began using ACT and have ever since.  I have ACT Version 8.0.2.81 installed on 2 computers, one desk top and one laptop. 
I need to come up with a way to be able to periodically update the data bases of both computers so that anything that I have entered on one will be on the other.
Not being in sales anymore and being retired, ACT Version 8.0.2.81 satisfies all of my needs and I do not want to go to a more current version of ACT.  My data base has a size of 226 MB on my desktop computer.  Can you help me with the data base issue?
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Database on 2 Computers

If both computers are on the same network, i.e. can "see" each other, your best, and easiest option is to make one the "server" (let's say the desktop), and from that one make a remote database to put on the other computer (the laptop), which then syncs with the "server". 

Additionally, if they can connect to one another, you could open the server/desktop database from the laptop, but if the laptop is ever away from that network, you will not have access to the database.

I guess in the end it depends on how mobile you are.  Hope this helps...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Database on 2 Computers