Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database msdb cannot be opened. It has been market 'SUSPECT' by reccovery - Sequel problem??- can anyone help me

Database msdb cannot be opened. It has been market 'SUSPECT' by reccovery - Sequel problem??- can anyone help me

I just trried to backup my database and got a long email message ....  Database msdb cannot be opened.  It has been market 'SUSPECT' by reccovery , etc, etc.     Has anyone else got this message and what is the fix?  Is it to do with sequel being corrupted or not turned on??   Any Help would be appreciated.  I'm using ACT 2011 Pro

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Database msdb cannot be opened. It has been market 'SUSPECT' by reccovery - Sequel problem??- can anyone help me

Hello Miles188,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

This error is generally an indication of a corrupted SQL installation.  Here is an article with instructions for resolving: KB Article 24695.

Before recreating these files, check the location of the MSDB database and ensure it has not been compressed.  The default location is C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql.1\mssql\data.  If the MSDBData.mdf file is BLUE, it has been compressed and needs to be decompressed > right click on file > select Properties > Advanced.  If 'Compress' has been enabled, uncheck the option.  If it is note enabled, enable it and save the change > then go back in and disable it and save the change.  This will decompress the file.  Reboot the computer and test.

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Database msdb cannot be opened. It has been market 'SUSPECT' by reccovery - Sequel problem??- can anyone help me

i tried using the article referenced above, but dos does not recoginize the following command:

sqlexpr /x

i am using windows 7, and apparently some of the commands in dos no longer apply.

do you know of any other commands that might work?

thanks,

mb

Mark,

I was able to successfully use the command in a dos window...  to double check the steps you are using:

- create a folder on the C: drive (ex: SQL temp)

- copy the sqlexpr.exe file from the Dependencies folder into the new folder

- click on Windows Start

- enter Run in the Search field > press Enter

- in Command box > enter CMD > press Enter  (Dos box appears)

- change the directory the new folder > use command 'cd\' to get back to root C: > then enter 'cd SQL temp' and press enter

- prompt should now read 'C:\SQL temp>' 

- enter the command 'sqlexpr.exe /x' and press Enter

- a prompt will appear to enter the directory into which the file will be extracted > click OK to extract

Greg Martin
Sage

greg,

thanks for the quick reply and the more complete checklist!

i got as far as the second to last step on your list.  when i pressed enter, i received this message:

'sqlexpr.exe /x' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file.

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mb

hmm... the only things I can think of are:

- make sure the command prompt contains the sql temp folder (C:\sql temp>)

- and that the command matches the name of the file.  If the file is named different than 'sqlexpr.exe', that is why it can't find it.

- and make sure there is a space between  'sqlexpr.exe' and '/x'.  

Please see your Private Notes.

Greg Martin
Sage

I do not have the sqlexpr.exe on my machine.  Is this part of the distribution for the SQL Server that is embedded in ACT 2010?

If not are these instructions still valid for Act 2010 users?  Where would I get the sqlexpr.exe otherwise legally?

thanks

Larry

I was able to find the SQL Server Express 2005 download for SQLExpr and downloaded it and extracted the files specified in the KB note.  However when I try to start the SQL service back up I get a service start error.

Hello Larry,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

What is the name of the service you are attempting to start (is it 'SQL Server (ACT7)'?
What is the error message you are receiving?
Greg Martin
Sage

Hello,

I was having the same problem (with a suspect version of SQL Server) on Backup.

I have looked for a copy of Sqlexpr.exe and since I am using a downloaded (legal) copy of ACT 2010 I cannot locate it.

Can you please point me in the right direction to get sqlexpr.exe?

Thanks,

Scott