Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database files on an external drive?

Database files on an external drive?

Hi everyone!

Take pity on me--I'm an Act! newbie.  I've poked around and not seen my question asked yet, so here goes:

Can I store my database files (all of them) on a non-local drive?  Act! seems to be set up to need at least some of it's files to be on the local drive.

Let me clarify why I need to know (especially since I'm not sure of the use of some of my terms).  My system is set up so that my software resides on my local C drive, but I save all my document files to an external drive (i.e. one that's on the LAN).  The main reason we did this is so that we could backup the external drive nightly, and not worry about the local (C) drives of each computer (since we could reload all the software from the original CD's if we suffered a catastrophic crash).  I'd like to do the same with Act!; have the software files on my C drive and save my actual database on a different drive.  Can this be done?

Also, my ultimate goal is to install Act! on several other computers on the network and share access to the db.  The network is set up so that I can't "see" the other computers from mine (i.e. if I go to "My Computer" the other computers are not listed and I can't navigate to them).

I'm used to using Access and this would be simple to do from there.  But, as I said, I'm an Act! newbie and I'm still learning how all the pieces fit together.  Thanks in advance for your help in unraveling this.

Kari

Nickel Contributor

Re: Database files on an external drive?

Your act database needs to reside on a local drive, the drive can however be a mapped or shared drive.

I'm not sure what a mapped drive is, but it sounds like I can't do what I want.

It sounds like what you're saying is that I will have to change my system, make my local drive shared, and set up a backup sustem.  I think if I had know that I would have chosen a different software.

Thanks for confirming what I was suspicious of.

Copper Contributor

You can do what you want, you just need to set up your external drive a little differently.  If the external drive is on a LAN, you simply need to map it to each local machine as a new drive, you can then store your ACT database on the new drive and access it from each local machine. 

It sounds like what I need to do is to move the software and files both onto the mapped drive, right?  That would work great for us.  I think our external drive is "mapped" (I'm still a little unclear on the term); it shows up on "My Computer" as drive "P". 

I will go try this.  Thank you for the tip.

Kari