Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database detach

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Database detach

Source of error is MSSQL$ACT7
Platinum Elite Contributor

Sounds like some sort of permissions issue... but can see that a SQL issue would remove files like PAD or backups

For what it's worth, that error has a number of Google options:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Performance+counter+shared+memory+setup+failed+with+error+.+Reinstal...

BTW: What OS?
If Vista or win7, you might try disabling UAC
Also, if the database in the Users folder, create a folder like C:\ACTDATA and put the database there
Copper Super Contributor

Win 7 32 on this computer. I've been fooling with the google answers for 2 days and sharing frustration you see there. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall the whole batch when I get home. I really dislike SQL. Most problems I have with ACT seem to originate there.

I'd try the two suggestions I made first.

Also, what version/build of ACT! (from Help | about)?
Copper Super Contributor

I run as administrator and only user. 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3. I've tried other folders. Thanks.
Silver Super Contributor

I think Mike meant that he "can't" see where SQL would delete the files.  I can't either.  I suspect that you have a rather nasty virus on your system.  I would go to eset.com and f-secure.com and run their online scanners.  That might not be enought though because you might have what is known as a rootkit virus.  In that case Microsoft has a bootable disk that you can create that might remove it.  You will need to create the bootable disk on some other system that you know is clean.  Here is the link to Microsoft's bootable disk.

https://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper

AVG makes one too that I've used with success before to get rid of a rootkit virus.

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/avg-rescue-cd

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

BTW: in Win7, you're not a real Admin unless UAC is disabled or you right-click on ACT! and select "Run as Admin"

Also, while not related ... when you fix it, you should get the SP1 update to 12.1 and then the latest Hotfix for 12.1
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks to both of you. I only run act as administrator when I'm forced to (updates, etc.) I've run a root kit, and I'm behind a pretty good firewall but I'll try the suggested sites.
Copper Super Contributor

Ran the scans--I'm clean. Thanks again.