Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database could not be accessed help!?

Database could not be accessed help!?

We use ACT! 2009 v. 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 1, for our small business.  The Master Database is on my desktop and the Remote is on my boss's laptop.  We use ACT every day but 2 or 3 days a week when she tries to open ACT she gets this error message "Database could not be accessed, Check your network connection...".  To fix this we simply restart her computer and everything is back to normal.

I've seen several threads with the same error message but not necessarily the same scenario or solutions.  We are able to access the remote after the reboot but most of the time it isn't a convenient thing to do.  Any suggestions as to how to keep this from happening?

Thanks!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Database could not be accessed help!?

Hello Learning Links,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

Since the reboot of the computer corrects the issue, it sounds like the SQL service is being stopped which blocks your access to the database.  The next time it happens, try this:

- click on Windows Start button

- select Run (XP) or use the Search field (Vista/Win7)

- enter the command 'Services.msc'

- scroll down to locate 'SQL Server (Act7)'

- look at the Status column - if it is blank, the service is stopped

- right click on 'SQL Server (Act7)' and select Start

- once started - attempt to open your database

If this fits/resolves your issue, the service may be stopping due to an update through the Windows Updates/Automatic Updates program.  You will want to check your updates and remove any for the SQL Server 2005 program.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks for the welcome!

I did get the database to open following your directions.  However, I am unable to find any specific SQL 2005 updates.  We are running XP so I'm looking in the Add/Remove program list and really the only software updates I see are Security Update for Windows or Media Player.  Is there another place I should be looking for the update?

Platinum Super Contributor

For XP you will need to go to the Control Panel and select Automatic Updates. Search for available updates and remove any for SQL Server 2005.
You don't want to make any changes in the Add/Remove programs list.
Greg Martin
Sage

I've looked there previously and unable to find any list of updates.

I open Control Panel, open Automatic Updates, and it brings up a window that allows me to turn auto update on or off.  That's it.

Nickel Elite Contributor

With XP, this seem more difficult that Vista or Windows 7. I think you have to check a box or something that states "Offer Updates that were previously hidden", or something like that. Then, when the update runs again, and you get that yellow shield in the taskbar, right-click it and when the window pops up, choose Custom Install vs Express Install. You should be presented with a list of possible updates, where you can uncheck the SQL update.
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Thanks for the input.  I'll check it out.