Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database could not be accessed error message

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Database could not be accessed error message

I am running act 2010 on a Windows 7 machine. I have been using act for years and have done nothing different this morning other than shud down my computer on Friday for the weekend and fire it up this morning. When I tried to fire up act I get this error message:

"The database ........ could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server. Press F1 for troubleshooting guide."

Act is on a stand alone computer, not a server for what that is worth. I do have AVG Internet security running. I just checked and it says everything is running normally. Last scan 1/18/2012 and last update 1/23/2012. Firewall was active and working. I have a hard time believing this is the issue because that has always been running and it never seemed to be a problem. Just for fun, I tried turning off the firewall and then tried to start act. Same message...........

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author epalanb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Database could not be accessed error message

[ Edited ]

Hello epalanb,
This is most likely the SQL Server not starting up. See this Knowledgebase article for instructions to restart:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28216

If this does not resolve, then there are additional options in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author epalanb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

[ Edited ]

Hello epalanb,
This is most likely the SQL Server not starting up. See this Knowledgebase article for instructions to restart:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28216

If this does not resolve, then there are additional options in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I am ACT 2010 on Windows 7 and when I try to open my database I get this error: "An attempt was made to access the framework without having logged on to a database". I checked that the SQLs are running and made sure ACT was allowed thru the firewall.

[ Edited ]

Hello leewalla,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! User Community. This may be due to a damaged .PAD file. Try this:

- Close ACT!

- Open your services window and stop the SQL Server (ACT7) service

- Browse to the location of your database and delete the .PAD file (i.e., mydatabase.pad)

- Go back into services and restart the SQL Server (ACT7) service

- Reopen ACT! and go to File > Open Database

- On the Open screen, change the "Files of type" at the bottom to "ACT! Database (.ADF)"

- Browse to the location of your database and open the .ADF file (i.e., mydatabase.adf) for your database

If the above process does not resolve, then you may have a damaged database log file (.alf). If this is the case:

- Close ACT!

- Go to this KB article: KB 27607 for the ACT! Diagnostics v14 tool. Download the utility from the File Attachments section near the bottom of the article and save it to your computer's Desktop

- After you have saved it, go to your Desktop and double-click the utility to run it.

- In ACTDiag, go to Databases > Database List. Find your database on the list and click the box to the left of it to highlight it.

- Right-click on your database and select Detach Database. Click Yes. Your database should disappear from the list.

- Open Windows Explorer (My Computer), browse to the location of your database and delete the .PAD and .ALF files for your database. Be careful and do not delete the .ADF file as this is your main data file.

- Go back to ACTDiag

- In KB article 27607, click the link at the top for "Attach ACT! Database". Follow the instructions, using the "Missing Log File" option.

- When done, reopen ACT! and then open your database with the .ADF file, using the first process I described in the top half of this post.

Greig Hollister

Astute Commentator

Thanks Greg,

Your solution fixed the problem. Smiley Very Happy

Found this thread by searching the community. I had same problem as the original poster. Solved. Thank you! I can breathe again, and am Backing Up right now!!

Dan

SQL Server Browser and SQL Server (ACT7) Service This issue can result if the SQL Server Browser and/or SQL Server (ACT7) service is disabled or simply not started.

It did work!

Thank you so much

Hello mejiacm,
Welcome to the the Sage ACT! Community. Glad to hear that the Community was able to help you resolve your issue!

Greig Hollister

I simply closed ACT!, then went to Services, right clicked on SQL Server (ACT7) and selected Stop. Once it the SQL Server for ACT7 stopped, I right clicked again and selected Start. Then I restarted ACT! and it opened right up.

Hello I have the same problem! I installed the act pro 11 program in a new computer and I cannot open an existing data base? can anyone help