Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database could not be accessed error message after latest WIN10 upgrade

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Database could not be accessed error message after latest WIN10 upgrade

Just upgraded to latest Win10 version...fun begins...  popular issue of "Database could not be accessed error message"

I followed both troubleshooting instructions - stopped & restarted SQL Server (ACT7) service but I'm unable to perform Detach Database with my database (I can Detach the Demo database though).  I get a popup with "Unable to cast object type 'System.DBNull to type System.String. Tried to call for tech support but they have series weather issues & are shut down...hope they're ok...

HELP, fritz

Using

Act! Premium Version 17.2.217.0

Windows 10 Home, Version 1511, Build 10686.14

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author fritzjurg
‎12-10-2015 07:54 AM
Employee

Re: Database could not be accessed error message after latest WIN10 upgrade

Sorry to hear you can't access the database following your upgrade to Windows 10. Is there any chance of posting a screenshot of this error message you are getting? Also, what version of SQL have you got on your Windows 10 PC? We have noticed some issues with upgrading to a Windows 10 PC causes issues with SQL 2008 (technically SQL 2008 isn't supported by Microsoft on a Windows 10 OS).

Error: "Database could not be accessed..." or "There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server" with "Login failed for user ACTADMIN because the account is currently locked out" messages in the Windows? Event viewer
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23446

If you open the above article and run the resetSQL.bat file and then try and open your database.

That error message relating to Unable to cast object type 'System.DBNull to type System.String could be caused by a damaged PAD file. Try deleting the .PAD file and opening the ADF file of your database to recreate it. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Super Contributor

Questions... 1-) The database is on your computer?

2-) Do you have your Act! database linked to any accounting Software?

3-) Did You backed up the database before you upgrade to Windows 10?

Best regards,

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Copper Contributor

Yes, database in laptop

No to accounting software

Yes to backed up database just prior to upgrade...from lessons learned...

Solution
Accepted by topic author fritzjurg
‎12-10-2015 07:54 AM
Employee

Sorry to hear you can't access the database following your upgrade to Windows 10. Is there any chance of posting a screenshot of this error message you are getting? Also, what version of SQL have you got on your Windows 10 PC? We have noticed some issues with upgrading to a Windows 10 PC causes issues with SQL 2008 (technically SQL 2008 isn't supported by Microsoft on a Windows 10 OS).

Error: "Database could not be accessed..." or "There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server" with "Login failed for user ACTADMIN because the account is currently locked out" messages in the Windows? Event viewer
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23446

If you open the above article and run the resetSQL.bat file and then try and open your database.

That error message relating to Unable to cast object type 'System.DBNull to type System.String could be caused by a damaged PAD file. Try deleting the .PAD file and opening the ADF file of your database to recreate it. 

Copper Contributor

Thanks Rhys. To Save the ResetSQL.BAT file, I had to change to Run As Administrator. I did that with ACT icon and the ACT started to run and now works perfectly.  I never got to the point of running the ResetSQL.  

Employee

You're welcome. I'm glad Act! is now working fine. Given that, I would stop there and not run resetSQL.bat!