Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database could not be accessed - ACT 2007

Database could not be accessed - ACT 2007

I am using ACT 2007 Version 9.0.1.162 Hotfix 1.

Due to a hard drive replacement, i needed to reinstall ACT and my database.  Since this reinstallment, I have not been able to open my database. When I designate the database file to be opened, I am asked for the user name and password.  Upon entering this info, I get the following message:

"The database MyContacts could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disableany firewall software on your computer or the server."  My ACT is installed on a stand alone lap top and there is no server to network with.

Your assistance would be welcome.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Database could not be accessed - ACT 2007

MHave a look at this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

Most likely the PC has a different name and you'll need the item on repairing the PAD file

Thanks for the quick response and happy new year.

My computer name and and the PAD file (opened with NotePad) match.  So that doesn't seem to be the problem.  However, here is the text line:

<ACTDatabase name="MyContact2008" host="IBM-PC" location="D:\Documents\ACT For Windows 9" type="Sql" />

I then tried to work through the instructions for a damaged PAD file.  When trying to run Actdiag, the following message pops up: "Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance". After hitting OK, the ACT Diagnostics box indicates that there are no values and not connected.

What's my next step?

Platinum Elite Contributor

If not that, you might need to try each of the items in that article.

Sounds like the SQL Server service isn't running