Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database corrupted... WTH?

Copper Contributor

Database corrupted... WTH?

My laptop powered down while I was away from my desk and I could not open my ACT!2011 Premium (hotfix 7, Windows 7) database.

While following a KnowledgeBase instruction, I deleted the .PAD file and later tried to open the .ADF and receive the following message:

The log scan number (...) passed to log scan in database '...' is not valid.  This error my indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf)...

I called tech support and (for a fee) I was told that I had to go back to the backup tapes.

WTH?  Is ACT! that fragile?

My data is important to me, ACT! is not.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Database corrupted... WTH?

Good Morning,

For some quick starts to troubleshooting, check the following:

While not a typical error message if SQL is not started, it is still worth it to check to make sure SQL is running?  To check - you can right-click on My Computer, choose Manage and then select Services and Applications and Services.  On the right-side you'll see a list of services in alphabetical order, scroll down and find the SQL (ACT7).  Verifiy it is started.  If it isn't, you can left click on it to high-light it and the right-click to choose start.  Close the services panel and try to open your database again.

If that doesn't do the trick

Check in ActDiag (Start/Run/ActDiag) and verify your database is listed and not SUSPECT

It is possible you need to rebuild your log file (ALF file).

It sounds like when your computer shutdown, SQL got flaked out and caused this issue. 

Post back your findings for the 1st 2 suggestions and I'm sure others and Sage will respond as well with suggestions for your database.

Kris Lock

IT Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant

Technology Transfer Services

www.techtransfer.com

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Copper Contributor

Thank you for your response.

After the database would not open, I followed the instructions at

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1771...

These instructions include the steps you mentioned.

Subsequently, my database was declared corrupted.

Copper Contributor

I mentioned I was using Hotfix 7.  Of course that's not possible.  I'm using Hotfix 4.

Also, if Sage is watching, this is ticket 9000300343.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello mrobbins,

The log scan error may not be a problem with your database (.ADF), but rather your log file (.ALF). You may be able to resolve this by recreating the log file:

- Rename your current .ALF and move it out the directory where your database is

- Go to KB Article 27607 and download the ACTDiag v14 utility

- In the article, click the index for "Attach ACT! Database"

- Follow the steps to attach when log file is missing

- When done, attempt to reopen with the .ADF file

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thank you.  The Sage tech tried that (I just repeated it myself).  ACT! Diagnostics returns the error:

The log scan number (...) passed to log scan in database '...' is not valid.  This error my indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf)...

Copper Elite Contributor

This sounds more like a SQL error - since it is referencing the ldf - vs alf.  WIthin ACTDiag, do you see the master, model, msdb and tempdb all there and not suspect?

Can you open the ACT! Demo database?  If you can, then try selecting Help/About then click Database Info.  Sometimes this gets SQL back in order...just something I try that's quick and works a good amount of the time.  If you cannot open the demo database - then It may be that you'll need to uninstall SQL and ACT! and try a reinstall.  This can then reset those master SQL files appropriately.

What about creating a new database - can this happen as well?

Sorry - I'm thinking of things as I type that I tend to try.  I've googled your error and saw a few things,but hesitate to go into too much detail if this can be resolved with any of the above.

Kris Lock

IT Manager

www.techtransfer.com

Kris Lock
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Unfortunately, that means that the data file itself is most likely corrupted. That would mean restoring a backup is the only available option. Please post back or contact Support if you have any errors or issues restoring a backup.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Dear Mr. Lock,

Thank you for your suggestions.

> This sounds more like a SQL error - since it is referencing the ldf - vs alf.  WIthin ACTDiag, do you see the master, model, msdb and tempdb all there and not suspect?

Yes

> Can you open the ACT! Demo database?

Yes.

>  If you can, then try selecting Help/About then click Database Info.  Sometimes this gets SQL back in order...just something I try that's quick and works a good amount of the time.  If you cannot open the demo database - then It may be that you'll need to uninstall SQL and ACT! and try a reinstall.  This can then reset those master SQL files appropriately.

I looked at Database Info and tried attaching my corrupted database with the sameerror.

> What about creating a new database - can this happen as well?

I was able to create a new database.

Copper Elite Contributor

wow - that stinks.  Was hoping it wasn't corruption.  Any chance you have a backup?  It's hard trying to troubleshoot without "touching" the machine and database.  Do you have a support plan with Sage - or a consultant you can call on to help?  Not sure if database services can help (Greg?) -

There are some things I personally would try - but it could all be for nought and easier to go through tech support or database services (if a backup is not available).

PS - not a big deal, but I should probably change my signature to say Kristine Smiley Happy

Kris Lock

IT Manager

www.techtransfer.com

Kris Lock
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com