Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database cannot be accessed

Database cannot be accessed

I've got this error, and have spent the last 3 days following postings here and knowledge base reports and still cannot get access to the database.

I try to open one particular database .pad file and get the "the database could not be accessed. In order to access this database check your network connection and verify your database server is available. blah blah"

I can open the demo database.  I can open this database on a coworker's computer (the admin of the database) but cannot open it on my computer.

I deleted and reinstalled sql server 2005, msxml6, act 2007.  Check permissions, database sharing, folder sharing, windows firewall, etc.

Any help?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Database cannot be accessed

Let's rule out some possibilities:

Does not sound like a SQL issue because you can open the demo locally on your machine and the main database on another machine

Does not sound like a database issue since the database can be opened by other users

Does not sound like an ACT! issue on your machine as you can open the demo database

Are other users able to open the database through the network? It wasn't clear whether the co-worker you were referring to was hosting the database on their machine or if they were opening it through the network hosted by a server.

Also, when you said that you checked the Knowledgebase, I just wanted to verify that you checked for all the possible reasons for the issue listed in

KB Article 19640, which is the article most relevant to this error message.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.