Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database cannot be accessed at random times and for random intervals.

Database cannot be accessed at random times and for random intervals.

I have a server(server 2k3 SP2 standard edition) with an Act! database stored on it in a shared folder.  For some reason it becomes inaccessible to all users on the network (even to the server itself which has Act! installed on it).  This occurs a few times a month and can last for the better part of a day.  This is the exact error message that I get when trying to open the database : " The database [database name] could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your netowrk connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server." 

I get this even when trying to run the file on the server itself.  In an attempt to fix this I have tried - Running the actdiagnostic tool and verified that the database is ok, Making sure that the appropriate services are started, checking the .pad file to make sure that the correct server name is in it.  I'm fairly certain that nothing I am doing causes the database to start working again, but it does always begin working again. 

Any ideas about what is causing this or how to prevent it from happening anymore would be greatly appreciated!

-Ryan

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Database cannot be accessed at random times and for random intervals.

When this error occcurs on the workstations, are you able to open the database locally on the server?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

No, I can't connect to the database locally on the server.  It has the same error that the workstations receive.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Please see KB Article 19640 for a list of possible causes and solutions for this error. It looks like from your original post that you have a tried a few these already.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you for responding so quickly,

The issue isn't actually occuring right now, but it does happen a couple of times a month and can sometimes really hinder work flow.  I was just wondering if you had any advice on maybe patches or hotfixes that I could install that would help prevent this, services to check other than the ones in the KB article you provided, or maybe some logs generated by the software itself that would help me track down the problem. 

Here is what I pulled from the server information if it helps at all :

software : ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) Version 9.0.1.162, Hotfix 1,

SQL Version: 2005.090.2047.00

Database : size [62.81] version [09.01.0152.0000] syncing [no] lock [unlocked].

-Ryan