Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database back-up process

Database back-up process

I am using Pro V19 where my database is saved to my local/computer hard drive. I would like to save it to a more secure location, either the server in my office where i am during the day, or any external hard drive. Is there a way to have these back-ups done automatically or must it be done manually? I would like suggestions for a back-up process.

thanks 

Re: Database back-up process

Hi mbenwitt,

You can backup automatically using the Act! Scheduler. While it does have limitations as to where the database can be backed up to, it will allow you to automate this process. 

If the database is stored on your PC and you would like copies to be taken of the backup and put on the server, i am afraid this would need to be done manually.

19218 How to use the Act! Scheduler to automatically back up your Act! database

Thank you.

i have another question. On my local drive I have 2 folders named ACT. I think it may be because I had a trial version and downloaded again when I purchased it. How can i tell which folder is active? The dates are the same. Files within these folders all seem to have current dates. 

One folder is ACT, then under that is folder called ACT Data, then 3 folders for:

• Databases, then other folder and files
  • Back-up, then ACT Contacts
  • Documents-blank

The other folder is also named ACT, and within that folder is:

• ACT Data, then Databases, and other folders and files. There are also folders for Backup and Documents, but they are empty
  • ACT for Windows, then Email

It is confusing since i don't which has the current data.

If you have installed Act and SQL was installed you will get a ACT folder in the Machines Public documents which will contain our demo database and will have the same structure as your local documents ACT folder.

The reason the modified dates will remain up to date is due to the databases being in use by SQL server (Even if you are not using the database SQL is)

If you would like to find the location of your main database i would recommend within Act! going to 'Help - About Act - Database information'

This will provide everything you may need to know about your database and will be able to copy the file location.

I went to Help but still cannot tell which is the correct and current database to be used for backup. Is it supplemental file location, database file location or database log location?
Administrator

Database file Location. The .ADF is your Act Database File.
The .ALF file and the Supplemental Files folder are also used by Act, but the database itself should be nearby.

So i find the .ADF file in my C drive, ACT, ACT Data, Databases, and the loose file Contacts with the extension .ADF? I can just copy this file to another drive, right?

What other files should I copy? i have custom layouts. I have a folder called Layout-database files and then i also have loose files with Layout in the title.

I would recommend taking the .ADF, .ALF, and -Databasefiles folder (this contains layouts/templates)

Please read this article as it has some helpful steps within it: 

23392 How to create a manual backup or copy and move an Act! database without doing a backup and res...

Administrator

Hi mbenwitt,

Is there a particular reason why you want to take these backups by copying the files manually instead of using the File > Back Up option in Act? This is the recommended method of performing backups.

So the ACT back-up function with the Scheduler would be the best way to do this, but does it also back-up the Custom Layouts I have created?