Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database User Name

Copper Contributor

Database User Name

I had to uninstall and reinstall ACT! 2010. Now I'm trying to restore my database and I'm being asked for the user name for the database. I have no idea what the user name is. Silly me for not making note of it, but in my old version of ACT! it wouldn't have been required. Is there a work-around for this so that I can restore the database?

Thank you.

Dan

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Database User Name

Hello Dan,

Retaining the user name at login is stored in the local ACT! preferences file, so when you do a new install that gets reset. Normally your user name is going to be a variation of your the name in your contact record, so try different variations of your name.

Examples:

John Smith

John

jsmith

johns

John R. Smith

If these do not work (or if you also used an optional password you can't remember), then please send me a Private Message. To send a PM, click my user name on the left, then "Send this user a private message" on the right.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Re: Database User Name

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. Somehow I got the dB open, but I don't recall how. I do know that I had to give the database a new name. And now I'm unable to synchronize with my desktop PC because of the new name.

I will be going through this again in a couple of weeks. I'm having to send my laptop to Toshiba for repair. I suspect they will have to run a full recovery (PC back to factory specs) as part of the repair. If they do, then I'll have to reinstall ACT! again. I might take you up on your kind offer for further help at that time.

Thanks again.

Dan

Copper Contributor

Re: Database User Name - Couple area's to look

I was having user name problem this morning, user name on log in screen was different for some reason???

Tried usual usernames, none worked

Set about trying user name

Found in two locations

(1) registry - current users - act - outlook addressbooks

(2) Outlook - tools- account settings - addressbooks - actaddressbook - clicked on database - edit ( Mind you this only works if database linked to outlook

Note even after getting user name had to redo numerous times, but finally worked

Tried - actdiag - not working something to do with missing database

Oldlaxr

Tom David Moxam

this worked for me

(1) registry - current users - act - outlook addressbooks

Copper Contributor

Thank you very much for the suggestion; however, I finally resolved the issue and it's been so long ago I don't recall how.

Thanks again.

d