Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database Synchronization - outlook emails sync

Copper Contributor

Database Synchronization - outlook emails sync

[ Edited ]

I'm fairly new to database synchronization, so I suspect this has already been answered (although various searches didn't locate it for me).

My profile:

I use Outlook 2007 as my mail client (on Act 2010).  Because I migrated from a different product when I first went to ACT, all of my historical emails (about 12 years worth) are in the act email system.  If I look up a recent email created since starting using ACT (from a contact history entry), I see it as an outlook email.  If I lookup an old email, I see it in the ACT email system. 

My Issue:

If I read the ACT synchronization documentation right, database synchronization won't sync act emails (no mention of outlook emails).  What I find though is the following:

I created a remote database and loaded it and then ran the synchronization several times for a few days to confirm it all appeared to work.  I tested changes to contact records on both the remote and the main and the synchronization properly replicated the changes.

I am now working remotely using my remote database and have discovered the following:

1.  The only outlook emails that are available on the remote database are those that were created after I started syncing.  My test syncs started a few days before I left on my trip, and outlook emails created using the main database for those few days are also in the remote database. 

2.  Any outlook emails created before I started syncing are not on the remote database.  I did set the initial remote database creation to include all attachments etc - but the old outlook emails don't seem to have come across.  I see the entry in the contact history for all of my emails, but I get an error when I try and view the older outlook emails (by clicking on the little document icon).  The error I get is "There was an error opening the attachment.  It may have been deleted by another user or been created on a database that does not synchronize attachments"

3.  The really old emails (in the ACT email client), are generally on the remote database - but not always.  In some cases when I try and look at them I get the same error (as above).

My main priority is getting the older outlook emails copied onto the remote database.  Any idea how I do this?  I will be returning to my main office I now n a few days so will have access to it then - but the next time I leave I'd like to make sure that I had my entire email history with me.

My second priority is to ensure consistency in that all the old emails (in act email system) also get copied over to the remote database.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

===========================
Ken Wiens
Project and Program Manager
www.kgw-consultants.com
============================
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Database Synchronization - outlook emails sync

Unfortunately, the first steps to troubleshooting this issue requires access to the main database.  You'll need to see if you can open the same history items on the main database that are failing on the remote.  The results of that testing will point you to a problem with remote or with the main database.

Please see your Private Messages.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I know I can open these items on the main database (the outlook emails).  I worked with them extensively and probably opened historical outlook emails directly from ACT 50+ times per day.

Ken Wiens
www.kgw-consultants.com
Copper Contributor

Hi

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?  Has anyone seen it happen before?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken Wiens
www.kgw-consultants.com