Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database Sharing

Database Sharing

Hello!

I'd like to find out how to share a database.  I work in a small office with only two people, and we both work off of our personal laptops.  We have Internet that comes from a cable in the wall.  I am currently the administrator and the ACT is only on my computer.  I wasn't sure how to get started with sharing my database with my colleague.  Also, I didn't know whether he could then see real-time updates; I will be the one working out of the dtabase on a regular basis, but he would still like the ability to see what contact has been made. 

Any feedback or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Database Sharing

Hello PremierRoofing1,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

To share a database requires that the computers can 'see' each other on a network.  You mention Internet access, but can your computers share files across a network? 

While sharing a database, you would be able to see the updates as soon as they are made.  Knowing that you are using laptops, I assume you or the other person will be out of the office at times; during those times, the other person will not be able to access the database.

Since you both have laptops, you may want to think about using remote databases.  Using remotes, you would each have a database on your own laptop and then synchronize the changes when you are both connected to the network.

To help get started here are 2 articles:

How to share a database

How to create a remote database

Greg Martin
Sage

OK thanks.  I was under the impression when we purchased ACT that we could use it for the two people in our office.  Now, however, as I began the process to share the database, I'm being told that we only have one license.  A little frustrating, but okay.  How do I go about getting another license then, so that I can share the database?

Thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

In addition to conforming to the license agreement... You'll want each individual to have their own license/user name within the database to allow for tracking of changes, separate calendars, ownership, etc...

Depending on the version of ACT! you are running, to obtain a new license:

- Versions 2010, 2011, 2012: you can contact the Sage ACT! Sales team at 866-873-2006

- Older version/current versions: you can contact an ACT! Certified Consultant.  See this web page to locate: Locate ACT! Certified Consultant

Greg Martin
Sage