Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database Location Requirement

Database Location Requirement

First let me say I am not an ACT! user. I am a network consultant who has been asked by an ACT! user to assist in "sharing his ACT! data"  I have done some research (Act! 2008 (v10.0) now uses MS SQL 2005 Express and supposed interop with MS Outlook 2007 etc) and read the KB# 21685 here (http://tinyurl.com/5akq6d) which tells me I must install the DB on an Windows OS based machine.

My question is why?  Why must the database reside on an Windows OS based machine?  I have installed MS SQL, and MySQL databases (and this verion... MS SQL 2005 Express is the "freebie" MS SQL database so it isnt as complex as even MS SQL 2005 Standard) on storgage devices like network attached storage, a SAN arrary or just plan USB drives without any issues.  This requirement seems very cost prohibitive to have to add the expense of the hardware, license and maintence of a Windows Server OS just to share this data.

Again i am not an ACT! user so can everyone here educate me on this requirement? Is it a "Best Practices" recommendation or is it cast is stone that the location where the data sits must be running a Window OS.

Thanks,

Brad

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Database Location Requirement

ACT! uses the .Net framework which is a component of the Windows OS and the application needs to be installed on the database server.

ACT! can actually use SQL 2005 Express or Standard - the Premium versions is needed for SQL 2005 Standard

Thanks for the quick reply Mike.  A few quick questions.

Is it a correct assumption then that when a database backup is peformed and then restored it also must be restored to a Windows based OS on a LOCAL (c:\) not NETWORK drive and the ACT! application installed as well?

Is it not possible to restore a backup to a mapped network drive (NAS, USB/Firewire, etc disk) from a Windows based machine and be ok? In this scenario, wouldnt the database be hosted on the network share but the appication be on the machine it was restored from?

Thanks again

Brad

Platinum Elite Contributor

Backup can be done from a remote system, but creation of any database (including restoring from a remote) must be done on the machine hosting the database... otherwise it can't control the access to create the shares.

The application has to be on the machine that the database is located on.

In fact, from - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304261

By default, you cannot create a SQL Server database on a network file share. Any attempt to create a database file on a mapped or UNC network location causes error messages to occur.

While it is possible to bypass that default usage of SQL with specifically support NAS devices, this is not supported in ACT!