Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database License issue

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Database License issue

My company is running a single licensed computer with a single user. That user has since left the company, and I am able to log into ACT! 2010 as him however when I add a new user, and then try to log in as that new user I get an error stating that the database doesn't have enough licenses to open. The old user is the administrator, however when I go to edit their permissions everything is grayed out, and I am unable to change anything. How do I switch the license from the old user to the new user?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author AdminRyan
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Database License issue

[ Edited ]

Hello AdminRyan,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. With a single license, you will not be able to create and activate a new user. Here's what you can do:

- Go to File > Backup > Database and make a backup - this is a best practice before editing key data

- Go to Contacts > Duplicate Contact

- Select option to duplicate data from all fields and click OK

- Fill in the contact name of the old user for the duplicate contact and save

- Look up both the original record and the duplicate (should have identical contact names)

- Highlight both records from the list, then go to Tools > Copy/Move Contact Data

- Follow the steps in the wizard to copy all data (contact, notes, history, activities, etc.) from the original record to the duplicate. Steps 4-13 in KB Article 14408 provide detailed instructions.

- When done, you will have a non-user contact record for that person

- Go to Lookup > My Record

- Change all the data to your information, so this becomes your user record. Delete any data specific to the old user

- Go to Tools > Manage Users

- Delete the new user you created earlier for yourself - it is not needed

- Double-click the old user to edit it (should show your name as contact name now) - change the User Name to whatever name you want to login as. If there is a password, you can change that too. Save the record

- Close the database and log back in using the new User Name you chose in the previous step

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Anyone?
Solution
Accepted by topic author AdminRyan
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello AdminRyan,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. With a single license, you will not be able to create and activate a new user. Here's what you can do:

- Go to File > Backup > Database and make a backup - this is a best practice before editing key data

- Go to Contacts > Duplicate Contact

- Select option to duplicate data from all fields and click OK

- Fill in the contact name of the old user for the duplicate contact and save

- Look up both the original record and the duplicate (should have identical contact names)

- Highlight both records from the list, then go to Tools > Copy/Move Contact Data

- Follow the steps in the wizard to copy all data (contact, notes, history, activities, etc.) from the original record to the duplicate. Steps 4-13 in KB Article 14408 provide detailed instructions.

- When done, you will have a non-user contact record for that person

- Go to Lookup > My Record

- Change all the data to your information, so this becomes your user record. Delete any data specific to the old user

- Go to Tools > Manage Users

- Delete the new user you created earlier for yourself - it is not needed

- Double-click the old user to edit it (should show your name as contact name now) - change the User Name to whatever name you want to login as. If there is a password, you can change that too. Save the record

- Close the database and log back in using the new User Name you chose in the previous step

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Wow thank you so much that work!!