Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database Could not be Accessed - tried help...error remains...HELP!

Database Could not be Accessed - tried help...error remains...HELP!

[ Edited ]

We are using ACT! 2010 on Windows Small Business Server 2011. We have several workstations that need to access it, but each is getting the same error:

"The database XXXX could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

I"ve poured over several thread's responses to this error, but still cannot fix the issue.

• I've checked the services.msc file and the SQL Server (ACT7) status (even stopped/started it)
  • I've deleted the PAD file and tried to open the ADF file (I get an error saying that ADF files must be on a local device)
  • I've even found a "fix" for opening SQL ports and tried implementing that. Although the ports seemed to have been opened on the server, I still cannot access my database
  • I've checked the actdiag, but my database isn't even listed on it anywhere
  • I"ve also been able to access the database using ACT on the server itself, which tells me this is definitely some sort of connection issue, but I am at a loss as to how to fix it

I can't help but think I am missing something as simple as checking or unchecking a box someplace, but I am stumped (& frustrated).

HELP!

Thanks!

Dave

Re: Database Could not be Accessed - tried help...error remains...HELP!

Anyone?

Please?

I'm not above begging...

We are frozen here without access to our database. We're a small company with no IT department.

Thanks!

Silver Super Contributor

Log into your database on the server and then unshare and reshare it from the Tools | Mainenance menu.  If you still can't access it from one of the other PCs it's most likely a firewall or a security issue.  My money is on a firewall issue.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Dave,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Take a look at this Knowledgebase article for possible solutions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

This may be an a server-name resolution issue. Try opening the .PAD file for the database in Notepad and change the server name to the server's internal IP address.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.