Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database Access Problem

Tuned Listener

Database Access Problem

I saved  a copy of our database to a new drive and we were all accessing it fine yesterday.  Today, I tried to open the PAD and  the computer says that "the database clientfile2010 cannot be accessed.  Check your network connection etc"

I'm running this from a local machine.  Any insights?  I can't access it from the local machine or any networked computer.  It was working fine yesterday. 

When I move ACT, let's say I don't choose save a copy somewhere else, and I just copy all the files and the PAD, would that cause a problem?  I didn't do that, but I did it today as a test and it didn't work eitehr.  Is it corrupted?

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Database Access Problem

It's possible the the SQL Service has stopped.  Try this:

Go to Start > Run.  Type in: services.msc

Find the service SQL Server (ACT7) service and make sure it is started. 

Also, make sure the Windows Firewall is turned off.

If you copy and paste the files to another computer, no it will not work with out re-attaching the database to SQL first.  The best way to move a database is to create a backup from inside of ACT!, then restore the back up on the new computer.  

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello downtick,

You mentioned you had moved the database files including the .PAD file. When you physically move a database, you actually need to leave behind the .PAD file since that file contains specific database location info and becomes invalid when moved. Please see KB Article 23392 for instructions to move the ACT! database files. If you still get the database access error, then see KB Article 19640 for list of causes and solutions for this error.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

I had already moved the PAD files... so, now here's my issue from scratch

I was running ACT from another computer temporarily until I fixed this one.  I have this one fixed and I want to restore the database that I backed up on this computer and then let the others on the network access it.  Do I just give them the PAD file from the newly restored database and it will work, or do I need to do something with actdiag again?  The last thing that I did was detach it.

Tuned Listener

OK, I got it working on my computer again, and restored it from a backup, so that's great.

Now, I just need to know how to link the database to my new PAD file that's on my computer so I can pass it out to the other people.