Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Data structure for multiple options

Data structure for multiple options

We are a periodical publishing company. Our ACT! database contains a mixture of customers (subscribers) and prospects. In all cases, the subscription is with a company and we wish to store subscription information at the company level. We, currently, have three periodicals and wish to record the years (potentially back to 1990) that a company has subscribed to each periodical. Companies may have subscribed to from 1 to 3 periodicals.

We need to be able to create lookups of contacts within companies that have never subscribed, have subscribed in the past but don’t now, and those that have a current subscription; each by one or more periodicals. We can then send appropriate e-mails to each lookup. I have found an addon (http://www.actaddons.com/products/2005/lookupcontacts.asp) which can create a lookup of contacts from a lookup of companies, which will help.

I am looking for advice on how to structure the storage of the subscription information so that it can readily be used in a lookup. I could have three fields, one for each periodical, in which the subscribed years are recorded. This seems a bit clumsy and would become more so with more periodicals. I could use a single (perhaps memo) field and record the years, each prefixed with a code for a particular periodical, i.e. A2013. I would welcome any suggestions as to the best way to handle this.

We are running ACT v16 on Windows 7 with the database shared from one workstation.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Data structure for multiple options

Your best bet would be to use something like Topline Designer to add a custom table to your companies for the periodicals and then use their lookup feature to find the contacts you want.

http://www.toplineresults.com/addons/topline-designer.aspx

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Stan,

Thanks, I'll look into that option.

Many thanks

Ian

Platinum Elite Contributor

I agree with Stan that a custom table is the way to go. More important the table can be connected to both the contact and company table.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you Roy. I'll experiment.

Ian