Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Data migration -- from old version on Mac to new version on PC

Data migration -- from old version on Mac to new version on PC

A friend has a very old version of Act! -- 2.8 -- running on a Mac that's about four years old.  The goal is to move her Act! data into the current version of Act! running on a Windows PC (both yet to be purchased).

Is there a path that can accomplish this?  If so, I imagine it would involve multiple steps.

Although I'm a sys admin, I know nothing about Act! and little about Macs -- but I did find this forum!

Thanks for any assistance,

Jim

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Data migration -- from old version on Mac to new version on PC

You're correct, it is a multi step process. The good thing is that the ACT! 2 files for the Windows and the MAC version were the same so the first step is to save all the database files (I think there were 11 or 12) from MAC format files to PC format files. Then you need to do a conversion of those files to ACT! 6. The final step is to convert the ACT! 6 database to the present version of the ACT! program.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy,

Thanks for the overview.  This is for a "casual" user, so if ACT! 6 will run on Windows 7, it might be left at that version for a while.

Jim

Platinum Elite Contributor

QACT! 6 running on Windows 7 is an unknown factor. The ACT! 6 trial version is available, otherwise you would need to take a chance on something like buying a used copy through EBay. TGhe trickest part is getting the database from the MAC to Windows. I would recommend going all the way to ACT! 2010.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129