Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Data doesn't change when import; importing results in duplicate records

Data doesn't change when import; importing results in duplicate records

I'm trying to import a spreadsheet, which is a list of the Id/Status field for certain companies. The spreadsheet has two columns, company name and Id/Status. An example row would be company name = TestCo and Id/Status = Engineer (currently, the Id/Status for TestCo reads Bank). Act says the record matches a record in the database; I select "Merge action". When I look at the company record, Id/Status still says Bank. Tools | Preferences | Duplicate checking is set to match company record on company.

Q1: How can I make Id/Status be updated to what is on the spreadsheet?

Q2: If I don't choose 'Confirm each match' in the import wizard, the company gets added as a new record, even though that company name exists, how can I prevent this?

Act! Pro 2012 v14, database is on server, Windows 7

Thank you for any assistance that works

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Data doesn't change when import; importing results in duplicate records

Are the 2nd and 3rd fields in Duplicate Checking set to None? You would need to include any fields in your Duplicate Checking setup (unless they are null values).

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

Thank you Markfor your reply. My duplicate checking says to match company records on Company, then on <none> (white background), then on <none> (grey background).

Copper Elite Contributor

It should work. Are you certain that the Company field and the Company column from your spreadsheet match exactly? One way to test that would be to go to your Company List view and export some Companies or even a single Company to Excel and use that as the basis of your import. (I actually do this type of thing quite often.)

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP