Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

DPI Fix

DPI Fix

Having just purchased a Surface Pro 4 tablet/laptop, which incorporates a 4K display, sadly the fonts don't render all that well on the display when using Act! v17. I've been in contact with support, and sadly the issue has not been resolved in v18, although there is a third-party add-on called DPI Fixer for Act! which claims to resolve all of the issues, available from www.durkincompting.com

I was just wondering if anyone has used the DPI Fixer on a 4k display with Act!, and if it did indeed resolve the resolution issues.

Thanks,

Copper Contributor

Re: DPI Fix

I just purchased v18 ACT! - I cannot believe that with the Surface (and other high resolution screens) being available for a while now, there is a display issue with them. I purchased v18 because of it's compatibility with W10 (i had to because W10 doesn't support server 2008, which is what was included with my previous version). So, it installs, but is completely unusable as is.

I have downloaded the durkin DPI fixer, that doesn't seem to have much impact, I have also adjusted (checked) the "display scaling on high DPI systems" - that helps, but still:

screen shot 2.JPG

The alarms and other pop-up boxes are almost unreadable without magnification - forget trying to use as a touch screen (the pen would probably suffice, but no way you can use a finger). This is a big issue.

Sadly, I feel your pain.

Spent most of the holidays trying to find a solution to the DPI issues on my Surface Pro 4 using ACT! 17, and numerous emails to ACT! support have effectively confirmed that, although they are aware of the problem, there is no fix in sight. V18 doesn't rectify the problem, and I have my doubts that v19 will come 2017 either. It's been a long-standing issue, and I don't see them having the time or inclination to fix it.

So, like me, you have four choices:

Simply live with it, but as we both appreciate, using ACT! on a daily basis is unusable, or

Change the DPI settings on the Surface to 1920 x 1080 with the font size set at 125% (which looks naff on a 4k display), or

Upgrade to the ACT! Premium Cloud and move from an offline environment to an online environment, using your web browser for extra £££'s mind, or

Do what I'm seriously considering, and move to Salesforce. Haven't moved yet, but they have been very helpful so far and if you sign up for the 30-day trial, you'll see just how up-to-date and user friendly the application is.

Good luck!

Nickel Super Contributor

Question...  have you tried changing (disabling)  the tablet mode?

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/enable-tablet-mode-windows-10

Best regards,

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com

Yes, but sadly it makes no difference. All tab'et mode does is effectively change the start menu and ensure that some apps - like Outlook 2016 - go into tablet mode as opposed to desktop mode.

Of all the software that I use, ACT! is the only application that hasn't kept up with the times, and unless they get their act together (if you pardon the pun) sooner rather than later, then they won't have a business left. You only have to look at the past three or four updates to realise that the graphical interface hasn't really evolved either, and with more competition coming from web-based applications such as Salesforce, they need to move with the times.

Copper Contributor

I concur - the tablet mode does nothing. I have used salesforce, and am not a fan for what I do (publishing and events) - magazine manager is better. I don't need a cloud based solution (nor do I want one), however, because we're a very small outfit and a desktop version is quite workable, I started writing my own in access a while back, maybe I'll dust that off and start on it again.  I was told that v18 pro - although they'll sell it to me (and I bought it) comes with no technical support, too.

I too own a small publishing company, which is one of the reasons why the Surface Pro 4 works so well for me. Adobe Creative Cloud works like a dream, except Bridge which is still usable though.

I must admit that I hadn't heard of Magazine Manager, so I'll take a look. Any issues you know of working with the application on the SP4, and do you also use it for your subscription database as well as your advertisers?

Copper Contributor

When I used magazine manager, the publisher I was selling for at the time had it for the reps. They did utilize it for subscriber base, production (traffic) and ad sales (and could branch into events as well). It's another cloud based system, though (I think) - and to expensive for me to utilize on my own. I think they're based in Florida - USA

did you try right clicking the act! icon -> properties -> Compatilbility -> make sure the DPI display checkbox is turned on

Copper Contributor

yes, thank you - I did (I mentioned it in the second post). I am going to try the programming fix, but haven't gotten to it yet.