Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

DO NOT USE NORTON 360 WITH ACT

DO NOT USE NORTON 360 WITH ACT

I hope you can benefit from our problem.  We installed Norton 360 on one of our work computers as it came with Norton Antivirus and it was time to upgrade.  The Norton could not run a scan so we allowed Symantec access to our computer to try to fix the problem.  After about 3 hours they asked if they could uninstall Norton and Install it again.  I told them yes.  As I observed them working I noticed something come up that said uninstall ACT - they did not ask me - as I later found out this Norton 360 will automatically uninstall ACT and WinFAX so it can work properly.  When you uninstall it it will also remove ALL previous Norton Versions from your computer.  We have been left with a computer that has our ACT program no longer there!  Thankfully it was not our main Database but this has cost the company money in lost time and productivity.  DO NOT USE NORTON 360 WITH ACT!!!
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: DO NOT USE NORTON 360 WITH ACT

.........Just don't use Norton, period! It is so slow and resource hungry and there are so many better options, just google around!

Agree!
Avid Listener

I totally agree with those who advocate not using Norton in any form -- esp. its A/V program, but I wonder what version of ACT you had that was uninstalled.  Some forum members may not know that Symantec (Norton) owned ACT and WinFax (and may still own WinFax), so it is possible that your problem would not have occurred with a post-Symantec version of ACT.

We have had all versions of ACT on our computer for the last 10 years or so the current version is ACT! 2007 9.0.  We have had Norton on our computer also during all of this time and have never encountered this problem.  According to the Symantec team this is a new problem.  They will tell you that they are "no longer supporting ACT".  We did not have any problems until we updated to the 360 version - we WILL NOT have Norton again.  In Symantec's Warning which I just found 360 will also uninstall any previous version of Norton, ACT, and WinFax.  We are not having trouble installing ACT again due to what they did to our computer.

NEW PROBLEM:  In trying to install ACT on my computer again it now says "ACT 2007 is not supported on this edition of SQL Server 2005"  I have no idea what all the Norton 360 removed from my computer.  In trying to get Symantec to fix the problem THEY created they offered me a subscription to their virus software - YEA RIGHT! Then they suggested I do a system restore - we go in to try and do this and discover that for some reason unknown to me that has been turned off on my computer.  I am not a computer person!  I just want them to work - I do not change any settings unless I am told to.  So what do I do - please I don't even know what an SQL Server is or how to get it back to the original version that worked with ACT UNTIL I PUT ON NORTON 360! 
Platinum Elite Contributor

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if still there
Uninstall MSXML 6.0 Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework (only 2.0 for ACT! 9/10) from MS web site (only XP, not Vista)-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT! 9.0 full install
Install ACT! 9.01 patch and Hotfix 3 if the previous install was the previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

NAV can prevent ACT! 6.0 and earlier installing, but I've not heard it doing that with 7.0 and later... except the Firewall needs to be disabled to install SQL.

Business users should use Symantec AV (not NAV) - less resources used and none of the consumer crap they keep throwing into NAV

I have migrated to Kubuntu Linux for that reason (among a long list of other reasons).  I no longer need a program like 360 and installing/uninstalling programs is nearly flawless.

And ACT! running on Linux?

ACT! 6.0 could have the database on Linux with Samba. But the workstations still need to be Windows.

ACT! 7.0 and later, because of MS SQL, only runs on Windows.