Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

DIY for upgrading to ACT 2012?

DIY for upgrading to ACT 2012?

Hi; new to the forum.  Our biz has been running ACT 2008 for a few yrs and we're thinking of upgrading to 2012, primarily to have sales force automation capacity.  We don't have an in-house IT expert.  We set up the 2008 with the help of a certified affiliate but had to set it up kind of funky in terms of how we use "contacts" vs "companies".  I'm not sure how seamlessly the export of our data from 2008 to 2012 is going to go because of the way we had to set 2008 up.  Anyway, we want to do automated email info drips, we want to integrate ACT with our Quickbooks and with UPS Worldship and have those 3 work together to reduce redundant work...is this something we can handle with tech support?  Or should we spend the $3K a local certified affiliate is quoting us for the upgrade and customization?  He's estimating 10 hrs on his clock plus the cost of the upgrade and the UPS add-on.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: DIY for upgrading to ACT 2012?

They upgrade should be pretty seamless ... but with setting up for QB and email, etc ... you might find it good value to have an ACC assist you
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Drmitch,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

When upgrading a 2008 database to 2012, there isn't an export/import type of process.  The 2008 database will be updated for use in the 2012 program.  What this means is that all of your existing data/setup remains in place.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks, I appreciate the info.  If I may, I'd like to get a bit more specific as to our odd utilization of 2008.  In our biz, we have two products we sell.  One, we wholesale to doctors.  The doctor then prescribes this product to patients and we then provide ongoing supplies directly to the patient in support of the prescribed device.  The way we've input the data is to put doctors in as companies and the patients in as contacts under those companies.  If we understand the 2012 ACT correctly, it has been configured in such a way that we should be able to do what we need to do but input our data "correctly", i.e. the way it was meant to be done.  We'd input doctors as the contact and the patients as relationships.  This raises 2 questions for us: 1. when we update, will we need to manually change our current contacts (numbering about 2500!) to relationships and companies to contacts, since that's the way it appears we should run this version?  And what of all the notes that have been input related to our current contacts database?  Those all need to be associated with "relationships" when we do the upgrade.

Now, with the automation, we want to be able to do automated reminders/info drips to doctors who are opportunities AND to doctors who have been closed and are now contacts.  And of course, those automations need to be different and distinct in timing and content.

And what if we have a group, XYZ Medical Group, and in that group are 6 doctors, 4 of whom have become clients/contacts, 2 have not.  Is the medical group input as a contact AND the individual doctors?  Can there be sub-contacts under the medical group as a contact?  We now need to automate the 4 who are in and not the 2 who are not.

I don't know if I'm making sense but any insights would be appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

A relationship is a link between 2 contacts ... not a separate record type

I'd really recommend getting together with an ACT! Certified Consultant from www.act.com/acc - they can look at the goals you want to achieve and show you the different options available to you

Thank you.  I'm starting to think the Northwoods SAM add on might be our answer.

On another note, is there an add-on that will integrate UPS Worldship with ACT and, ideally, with Quickbooks, integrating the three?

Bronze Elite Contributor

You would be advised to employ an ACT! Consultant to assist with the design and migration to ACT! 2012 to make best use of the ACT! contact relationship facility. It would be possible to create Contact records in bulk from the exisiting Company records and then associate them through relationships but it would need some development of a tool to do so, otherwise it would have to be a manual process.

With integration of QuickBooks with ACT! we can help you with our Xact Link for QB There is a 30 day free trial of the software available as a download.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog