Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

DB was deleted - need to recreate from files

DB was deleted - need to recreate from files

[ Edited ]

A critical mistake and blunder deleted the entire DB.  This occured on a Win7 64bit machine running Act Pro 2011.  The deletion was not done through any recommended procedure.

I have been able to recover the .ADF .ALF .PAD and the database folder from a backup disc image.  The files now reside in a desktop folder.

What is a procedure to create or recreate a db that can be accessed normally thru the existing Act install. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Miles

Bronze Contributor

Re: DB was deleted - need to recreate from files

Try this to,see if it will work.

1. Delete the .pad file or rename it with a different extension.

2. Click on start run and type in actdiag. 

3. Click on tools then attach database. This is all assuming you are on a fairly recent version of act. 

A kb article talks about this. 27907 search on that number on KB.act.com

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Thank you for responding so quickly. I'd appreciate a bit more coaching: The version is Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

Currently, the database folder and the files are at C:\Users\22\Desktop\RecoveredDB. The complete named database-files folder and the .ADF .ALF and .PAD are at that location.

Where should they be in order for actdiag to find them? 

Bronze Contributor

Your version of Act is running an older version of .net and Actdiag. My comments re being on a recent version was because the new version of actdiag does what I told you and would find the database where you had it.

here is another solution.  Open Act using run as administrator, then click on File Open and look for the .adf file. The program will be looking for the .pad which is why I said to,rename it.  Act will look for pad files, adf files or .mdf files.  You want to tell it to open the adf one.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Hi Miles, if you're still struggling with this there is a way that you can re-attach your database within the Act! program itself.

Firstly, you need to copy your .ADF, .ALF and database files folder into the location where you want to keep your database (please note you do not have to copy your .PAD file as this will be re-created).

Once you have the files in the correct location, please perform the following steps:

1. Launch Act!, then click File > Open/Share database or Open Database (depending on version)

2. Click The database I want is not listed

Note: If you are using Sage ACT! 2011 or older, skip to step 3

3. Browse to the new location where the database files are

4. In the file type dropdown, select Act! Database (*.ADF)

5. Select the database .ADF file, then click Open

6. When prompted to allow Act! to verify the database, click OK to begin the process of reattaching the database to Microsoft SQL Server and opening the database in the new location

Once completed you should be able to access your database once again.

Thank you both for your great support. I regained access to the db a couple of days ago.  Apoogies for my tardiness in updating the thread.

Life is defintitely better when Act is at 100%! 

No problem Miles, I'm very glad you've got it sorted out!