Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

DATA LOST after deleting pad file and reopening via ADF!

Tuned Listener

DATA LOST after deleting pad file and reopening via ADF!

After deleting PAD file I re-opened Database by way of ADF and it brought me back to 5/17/09.  Why?   

I've tried to sync my laptop with main database and kept getting an error message.  Then tried to re-create remote database and kept getting error message "Failed to re-snapshot remote data... ADF is denied". 

On the Sage website it was recommended that I Delete PAD file and reopen via ADF.  After doing this and reopening database it brought me back to 5/17/09.  I don't get it???  Is the data from the past 6 months gone?  I'm not sure when the last backup was...  Very concerned that I'll be hanging from a rope if I don't have a solution soon! 

AHHHHH! 

Scott

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: DATA LOST after deleting pad file and reopening via ADF!

Deleting a pad file would not affect the content or status of the actual ADF/database file.  The PAD file is a text only file that merely contains information about where the database file is located and the PC name of the machine hosting the database...

My suspicion is that you have more than one database on the machine and you are opening a database other than what you think.  In other words - the pad file you deleted was pointing to a database different from the ADF you are opening...

I could be wrong on that, but I am certain that deleting a PAD does not magically delete data from a database...

Tuned Listener

Hmmm...

Scott, you are correct, there are several Act Databases found in various locations of our system.  We have a server hosting a shared S drive.  On the S drive there is an act database file with the same name however, when I tried to access it though the ADF file it gave me the error message "remote database must reside in a physical location on this computer".  I just tried to access it again and it brought me back to the same date as the database on this computer...?  I just don't get it. 

Originally, right after I deleted the PAD and found I lost 5 months, I restored the PAD file from the recycle bin.  Was that a mistake? 

Is there any reason why I am not seeing the last 5 months.  Is there a way I can search for it? 

Any ideas are welcomed.

Scott

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Scott,

Do a search for *.adf of all the drives on your server. This will find all ACT! databases. Look at the ones with largest physical size and the most recent modified date. You may also want to look for *.zip, which would be backup files.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.