Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Customize user field labels

Customize user field labels

I have a 2009 version of ACT! (version 11). How do you change the label of the user fields.  In other words, if I want to change the labels from User Field 1 to Business Type and User Field 2 to Occupation. so that it says Business Type instead of User  Field 1, etc.     Thanks in advance for your help!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Customize user field labels

Just edit the layout. You also might want to change the field name in Tools \ Define Fileds.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy, Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, I'm afraid your assuming I know more about the software and computers than I do.  I tried using:  Tools > Define Fields > Edit Fields.  Then I selected (highlighted) the User 1 field from the scroll down list and typed in Business Type.  I did the same for User 2 and then completed the rest of the selections to Finish.  However, when I returned to the Contact Detail and clicked on the User Field tab the fields were still labeled User 1, User 2, etc.

However, when I go to Tools > Design Layouts > Contact, and click on the User Fields tab the fields are still labeled User 1, User 2, etc. but the actual data area (white background) has Business Type filled in next to the label, User 1,  Occupation in the data area  next to User 2.

So what I'm looking for is very specific, step by step, click by click instructions for "dummies" that leaves nothing to guess work on how to accomplish this.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Edit the label in design layouts. Changing the field name in define fields doesn't change the field label in the layout. It's just a text field so edit it to say what you want.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I used previous versions of ACT and when I try to customize a user field, I see the field name from my previous customization but it doesn't seem linke to the field in the 2010 version.  How can I link these?  I want to changer User 4 but it doesn't show in the list of fields.

ACT! 2005 doesn't link the field name to the layout label name. You have to first change the field name in Tools | Define Fields and then edit the field label in the layout..

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Highlighted

How do i rename a User Field, and can that field be search upon in a act search.   Thanks

Administrator

Hi credit4U,

To rename fields, check out this following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15331
Look for the section under the heading "Editing Existing ACT! Fields".

You can search upon any field in Act! from the Lookup > Other Fields option.