Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Customize columns in Group View gives error Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Customize columns in Group View gives error Object reference not set to an instance of an object

When using the Group view in ACT 2007 on Windows XP I get the following error: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". On two other computers the same database will not show any contacts within the group view and I cannot customize columns on either of them. 

I've checked and repaired the database, and have looked through this forum for a solution but cannot find a fix. Please Help!!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Customize columns in Group View gives error Object reference not set to an instance of an object

You may have a damaged Group layout or your ACT! preferences file may be damaged.

If you have a damaged layout, the change the layout in from the Layout selection button in the lower left corner of the screen.

If needed you can replace the layout by browsing to the location of your database and open the <database name>-database files folder, then open the Layouts folder in there.  The Group layouts will have .gly extension.  Rename the damaged layout. Then you can either copy and paste a new layout from the Demo database (ACT<version>Demo) or from a backup file (.zip) of your database (from before the issue started to occur)

If the issue is damaged Preferences, then please follow the steps in this Knowledgebase article to reset the preferences on each machine:

How To Rebuild ACT! Preferences Using the ACT! Diagnostics Utility

If you suspect the issue is with your database, then open the Demo database and see if the same thing happens

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.