Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Customize Columns Reverts Back to Default

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Customize Columns Reverts Back to Default

Not sure what you mean... do you mean they show the same or don't? what happens if you change them?
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

:-(

I opened and closed the program a few times and even re-booted once. I opened the program and the columns are reverted back to the default view showing record manager and all the other columns I am not interested in. So, it appears that all your very appreciated help has not solved the problem. What frustrates me is the fact that I used ACT2000 for many years while going through a divorce, losing a business, etc. And, now I am finally able to upgrade to a new version of ACT and I need to deal with this. Thank you for your help,
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

I have the same problem.  I use two different databases and everytime I change between databases the custom columns I have setup get reset to the default.  I can set the columns and open and close that database as many times as I want and then stay as I have set, but as soon as I open a different database it goes back to the default.

It is a problem with ACT and I have not been able to figure out a solution.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thanks.

It's more of a nuisance than anything. But I'm sure you are right about the two databases. I really don't use the old database very much, so maybe I'll import a few of the records into the database I do use. But, what you're saying makes sense. I thought I had the problem solved and opened and closed the program a few times and even rebooted. But, then all of a sudden it went back to the default columns. If you are a one person operation there is no need for a lot of those colums like record manager and associate with and scheduled by and things like that. I'll give it a whirl, and thanks again.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

CR Baker you are absolutely corrrect. I suppose there are a few ways to apprach this.. Import one or the other database into the other, wait for Sage Software to present a fix, or just deal with it.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I have combined the two databases I had into one. Actually I kept the both old databases still on the hard drive without touching them and made a brand new one and then imported both databases into the new one. That has solved the problem of the columns going back to the default headers and sizes every time I switch databases because I don't switch any more. I had a database that was from 1998 from an old business that I don't have anymore, and four years ago when I got a new sales job I started a new database. Been using ACT for twenty years and this was the most frustrated I ever was. And now, even if Sage Software comes up with a fix there's nothing I could do. Be like unscrambling an egg....
Highlighted

Simply make this file READ-ONLY

C:\Users\[this is your username]\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\Act.UI.IGroupDetailView.ser

(Under Windows Vista)

I am not sure about the path in windows XP, but should be similar.

Highlighted

Found it !!!

for Windows XP, make following file READ-ONLY

C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Windows Username]\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\Act.UI.IGroupDetailView.ser

Enjoy !!

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thanks..... As I had previously mentioned, I ended up combining the two databases into one. I would have liked to kept them separate, but at the time I did what I needed to do. Occasionally I will still notice that the columns revert back to the default setting.
Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

See if you can work out what you do before it reverts.

It's nearly always a better option to have one database... Otherwise you have two calendars