Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom fields disappeared

Custom fields disappeared

Hi, I have written this in reply to another message that i had, but it didn't seem that it was going through, so i wrote it again.  I apologize if this is a repeat.  I am running 2010 Act!  I went to tools-> design layout-> and for a few seconds, my custom fields that i had previous designed and have used for months showed up.  Then the screen flickered a little bit and the custom fields disappeared!  When I went back to my contact views, the custom fields were gone in the detail view, but the info was in the list view.  What in the world is going on?  Any info will be appreciated!  Thank you in advance.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Custom fields disappeared

In your contact view do you see the labels and not the actual field?  You still have your data, since you can view it in list view - looks like somehow the fields in the layout got "unlinked."  Can you re-add them?  Did anything change recently? 

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com

I am having the same problems. I have a shared database (no one has made any changes) using ACT 2010. I am running Windows 7. The other day I noticed my custom fields disappeared so I manually added them back into some of my custom tabs. I made a blank copy of the database to use for another set of data yesterday. Now I opened it up today and the same thing happened but even more of the custom fields are not there. The layout is still intact but there are just white boxes that you cannot add anything into meaning the fields are not being associated with them. Anyone else having this problem? Thank you for any help with this, and not sure if there is anything that can be done as it seems like a bug.

Bronze Super Contributor

Perhaps your layout file is corrupt?  Try saving it to a new name and add the fields back to the new layout and see what happens.

Better yet, if you don't have too many customizations, save one of the default fields to a new name and modify that to show your fields...

Best Practice:  Always do a "Save As" in the layout designer before making any changes, append a "-v1", "-v2", "-v3" so you know your version and so you can "roll" back if you have to.