Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom field in Notes section

Custom field in Notes section

Hi,

I am trying to add a custom field in the notes tab.  Is there any way to do so?  I've been searching, but I cant seem to find anything.

I want to categorize each note that i create and use the data to track when and how often I do something.  For example, if I enter a note, I want a custom field to go along with it that i can mark as a "Meeting", "Phone Call", or "Referral Sent".   I could then determine how many Referrals i sent within the last 12 months. 

Thank you!

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Custom field in Notes section

A custom field in the Notes section is not something ACT! allows you to add, but the ACT! History functionality already does this so why not just use the existing History functionalty?

Phillip R. Price
ACT! Certified Consultant
Automated Sales Tools, LLC
http://www.automatedsalestools.com
Phone: 1-866-915-9399
Bronze Elite Contributor

You may be best to create custom activities and from those you can derive history.

A useful function is Record History, best accessed as the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl + H. Alternatively accessed via a right mouse click and choose 'Record History' (the little filing cabinet icon). The top left-hand  field in the New History window that opens, allows you to choose the type of history. These history types are associated with an activity type of the same name. You can create your own custom activities and hence a custom history will be created. To create custom activities go to the Schedule menu and choose Manage and then Activity Types... to add your own custom activities. When you then go Ctrl + H you will find your new custom history available in the field referred to earlier.      

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Thanks, this might be what im looking for.  Would there be a way to analyze the custom activites in ACT or export into Excel for analysis?  I would want to total up how many times an activity (e.g. Phone Meeting) occured for each contact within a period (e.g. 1 year).  Could I then produce a Lookup of Contacts that displayed the count of each Activity?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Best advice is rather than export for analysis is, if possible, use the capability that Act! already provides, without resorting to export. Act! has its own report writer that can report on history. The included report 'History Summary Classic' is a report that could work for you and it can, within limits be customised to include the history types you create.   

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog