Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom column settings not retained when changing databases

Tuned Listener

Custom column settings not retained when changing databases

Does anyone know how to fix the problem where customized column settings are not retained when changing databases.  It always resets to the default.

If I set the column setting the way I want and only open and close that one database it is fine.  But if I open another database then te column setting are lost and revert back to the default. 

I am using ACT 10.0.2.191, Hotfix 1 on Windows XP SP3 with Microsoft Word 2003

Nickel Contributor

Re: Custom column settings not retained when changing databases

Are they lost if you go back to that database? Say you set them up in db1 and close and reopen. They should still be there.  Now go to db2 and back to db1. Aer they still there?  Customizations are usually specific to the database. Youd have to customize db2 seperately from db1.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA
Tuned Listener

If I set the custom columns and then close act without opening any other databases the settings are retained the next time I open act.

However, if I open db1 which has custom settings and then I open db2 the column settings revert to the default and when I open db1 again it no longer has the custom settings and is back to the default.

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

Consider this: 

What would happen if your customized columns were set to show a field that didnt exist in one of your databases? 

I think the program is working as designed here, wouldn't consider this as a problem.

Regards,

Cesc 

Message Edited by CrazyCesc4 on 07-02-2008 01:48 PM
Tuned Listener

I disagree with your opinion that the program is working as designed and I consider it a problem that the columns don't retain the settings.  When I contacted ACT support about this in January they acknowledged the column settings should not be lost when changing databases.  They indicated the column settings are specific to each database and gave me a number of things to try but nothing they suggested worked.

How could you select a column field that didn't exist in that database?  The only available choices to display in the columns exist in all databases as they are ACT system fields.

Maybe you don't understand what I mean by columns.  On the Notes, History, and Activity tabs the columns can be customized based on what information you want displayed.  But they fail to retain their settings when other databases are opened.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Columns in the Contact List (and others like the tabs in Groups and Companies) are database specific... and all are stored in the same XML file.