Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Toolbar Buttons Disappearing

Copper Contributor

Custom Toolbar Buttons Disappearing

I created document template toolbar buttons for each user.  The problem is they disappear and I have to put them all back in everytime the program is restarted.  Has anyone had this problem and know of a fix?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Custom Toolbar Buttons Disappearing

It sounds like you may have a bad preferences file.  Try the steps in the following Knowledgebase article:

Preference Settings Lost When ACT! is Restarted

In addition, in the Preferences folder referenced in the article, there is an SER file that starts with "ConnectedBars". This file stores your custom toolbars and may be damaged as well. Rename this file as well.  Make sure you have ACT! closed when you follow these procedures.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Nickel Contributor

Hello,

I have the newest version of ACT!(Sage ACT! Premium 2012 Version 14.0.572.0, Hot Fix 2) and use Windows XP Pro. I tried these steps mentioned by Greg and it doesn't work.  Seems like every year they never want to fix this. They use the same excuse every year too.

Any other ideas other than using Restore Personal Files to get it to work properly?

Skilled Commentator

The same thing is happening at my company. I did try the above mentioned fix, but it's still going on. Not every time we restart Act, but maybe once every week or two. I'm running Sage ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.1.111.0, Hot Fix 5.

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's another kicker. In fact two.

When I create an activity type and give it an icon, it doesn't save the icon(on the toolbar, that is)!  Of course, this ties in with creating a custom toolbar, but who's counting?  Who even cares?

In addition to that,  when trying to assign a shortcut key(like CTRL+ALT+Z) in Customize/Menus and Toolbars/Keyboard Tab, it only saves it once and then loses it after the next attempt.

I don't know what to say.  I am in shock and horror.  So many words can be said...

WHY do you have these features available to us when they don't work like they are supposed to?  This has never worked the way it's supposed to.  Only some workaround.

Sage, please hire me. if you can't get your programmers to do their job, I will make sure they do.  I will do it for a $1/year.  just give me the power.  That way, they will earn their income.

and yes,  please let them know this in the next meeting.  We need software that delivers on its promises and pays attention to detail.

PG

Bronze Contributor

I agree the toolbar has been a problem for a long time. One thing I have found that generally works is to delete the folder mentioned in the KB article go back in and setup the preferences and then exit from ACT!. Wait at least a few minutes before reopening.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.