Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Reports - ACT! Neophyte

Custom Reports - ACT! Neophyte

I've worked my way through customizing Contacts and, overall, it was pretty simple once I got the hang of it.  I learned it was better to 'copy' and then change the field, etc. rather than to try to draw the new field.  Customizing the reports so I can get a simple list of client name (contact), spouse, address, client b'day, and spouse b'day was a far more frustrating experience.  My fields are all different sizes (the copy thing didn't work here); nothing lines up very well (I think 'snap to' is engaged), and I can't seem to ever edit the field labels to save space.  I tried editing the existing birthday list report (that was a real dead end) and also something I think was called "Contact List." which worked a little better but was an incredible waste of paper.  And I haven't even tried to figure out how the reports do a custom field so the city, state and zip show up as one unit, i.e, not separated by their field labels.

Has anyone had these difficulties and worked through them?  I'm pleading for mercy.  We've got ACT! 2007.

Re: Custom Reports - ACT! Neophyte

Did you ever figure this out?  I'm trying to customize a report to include specific information in drop down menus.  have you done that?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Custom Reports - ACT! Neophyte

While the layout and report editors look similar, the resulting functions very different. The layout is basically a static filter through which you view the database information for a single contact, group or company. Note that the list views are not part of the layout and are controlled by the ACT! program. Report templates on the other hand  are programs designed to extract information from the database and format it for the printer or some other output device. As an example, in a layout you would have the City, State and ZIP in separate fields but when you want to print that information, you want to have it closed up as though it were in a single field. In the report, that has to be done pragmatically. The ACT! knowledge base has several document that provide some basic information on creating reports. For simple reporting needs, they should be adequate. If you need to have more complex reports, you would want to seek the help of an ACT! Certified Consultant for report training or to subcontract the complex report template creation to them.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129