Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Contact Sheet and the lower tabs pane...

tcv

Custom Contact Sheet and the lower tabs pane...

Hi,

When creating a custom contacts sheet (or, perhaps, any sheet), is there a way to force how high the tabs pane comes up from the bottom of the screen? I can't seem to find a way to control that.

Thanks!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Custom Contact Sheet and the lower tabs pane...

While on the Contact Detail screen - you can adjust the level the tabs area covers by drag/drop the line just above the tabs themselves.  Hover over the line to get the up/down arrows > left click and hold > then drag the line to the appropriate location.  This will set the Preferences for the line. 

There isn't an option to 'lock' it in that position so that others cannot move it.

If you are having trouble getting the Preferences to stay for the new location and you are running Act! on a Vista or Win7 computer, you can run Act! as an Administrator to give it additional authority.  To do this: close Act! > right click on the Act! icon > select Run As Administrator (Act! will then open).

Greg Martin
Sage
tcv

gmartin wrote:

While on the Contact Detail screen - you can adjust the level the tabs area covers by drag/drop the line just above the tabs themselves.  Hover over the line to get the up/down arrows > left click and hold > then drag the line to the appropriate location.  This will set the Preferences for the line. 

There isn't an option to 'lock' it in that position so that others cannot move it.

If you are having trouble getting the Preferences to stay for the new location and you are running Act! on a Vista or Win7 computer, you can run Act! as an Administrator to give it additional authority.  To do this: close Act! > right click on the Act! icon > select Run As Administrator (Act! will then open).

I will try the Administration option, thanks.
I wasn't really interested in _locking_ it per se. When I edited my custom Contacts form yesterday, I moved the top of the tabs field down maybe .5 inches. When I went back to the Contacts detail, my tabs were completely collapsed at the bottom. I adjusted it and it's pretty much stuck where it is now, but I don't understand why it collapsed in the first place.
Either way, I will try the Administrator option in just a few moments. 

tcv

Ok. I've done some testing and I've got some screen shots to show you what I am seeing:

This image shows the distance between the tabs and the last field on the Contact detail sheet. Remember this is a customized Contact sheet:

The second image shows where I place the tabs, using the method outlined above.

The third image shows the distance from the bottom-most field and the tabs AFTER I restart ACT 2010.

What's worse is that, occasionally, the tabs section will completely collapse. So, you'll have to pull it back up. This behavior is the same whether I run act as Administrator or otherwise. The user is an Administrator on the machine. It is running Vista SP2.

Hope this helps!  

Tabs section moving down the screen when closing/reopening the program can be due to corrupted Preference files.  Here is a link to instructions for recreating them: Mini Calendars - How to rebuild Preference files

Use the section entitled: Manually Delete Act! Preferences, and be sure to check the DPI settings as described.

Greg Martin
Sage
tcv

Ah, I haven't done the preferences dump yet, but I do see that the DPI is set to 120. I doubt my user will want to put it down to 96. Since I am not really able to do that, will nuking the preferences fix anything? I'd rather not do that if there's a chance I'd lose something _and_ it won't fix the issue anyway. 

I feel fairly confident my user will accept the issue of the DPI as Just The Way It Is.

Recreating the Preferences will most likely correct it, but without resetting the dpi there's no telling how long it hold.  It could last an hour/day/week/month before corrupting again.

Greg Martin
Sage
tcv

Blah. Okay.

Is there a way I can backup the preferences in case nuking them causing other issues?

Certainly - the best method is to just rename the files.  You can add 'OLD' to the beginning.  This will hide them from Act! and allow for an easy resetting.
Greg Martin
Sage
tcv

Gotcha.

I tried. This hasn't fixed the problem. I did also rename the backup files as suggested in the KB article. I was able to confirm that the preferences were nuked, but the tabs pane moves around just as well.

I am testing this at 96 dpi to see what happens...