Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Command shortcuts on toolbar disappear with new Version updates

Highlighted

Custom Command shortcuts on toolbar disappear with new Version updates

currently using Act! Version 22.1.212.0, Update 3

This issue is not version directed as it has occurred in various versions over the many years I have been using ACT.

I add Custom Command shortcuts to my toolbar to speed up my work. 

When Act Version updates are downloaded and installed the Custom Commands disappear from the toolbar and I have to recreate them.

I have asked ACT tc techs and they have responded there is no way to save them and the user must recreate them.

Is this an ACT quirk that the personal preferences for Custom Commands are not saved?

Is there a workaround for it?

Thank you.

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Re: Custom Command shortcuts on toolbar disappear with new Version updates

Rather than adding the custom command to the existing toolbar you could try enabling the Custom Tool Tab -

Tools - Customise -Menus and Toolbars and tick Custom Commands.

Highlighted

Thank you.

When I do that my Custom Commands are not there.  I still need to recreate them since they were lost when I updated ACT to a new Version.

So I add them to the tool bar again so I don't have to click through to find them.

If I misunderstood your suggestion please let me know.

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

Thank you.

When a new Version installs it typically saves then converts the database to be compatible with the new Version.  I then can access contacts and via a long route access my custom templates.  I lose my Custom Commands and short cut buttons.

So, if create Custom Commands and save them before an update Version is installed will the restored saved Custom Commands typically work with a new version or automatically "convert" to work with the new Version?

As a 30 years user of Act, I wonder why my other preferences and customizations are saved - EXCEPT for the Custom Commands and related shortcuts.  It seems like an oversight that could be fixed in a patch.  That would be user friendly for folks like me.

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

It should save them and allow them to restore... As long as there isn't a major change to the interface.

The reasons for those not normally saving are - First, they are stored locally (many others are in the database). Second, I guess not enough users have made the request.

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here -
https://community.act.com/t5/SHARE-YOUR-IDEAS/idb-p/ideas

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on. It also allows other users to vote on these so management can get an idea of the demand

This article might help word the request to make it easier for management to look at it:
https://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2011/01/how-are-product-management-decisions.html

Highlighted

Hello again Mike,

I believe you that not enough Users have made the request.  Many of the tc techs don't even know about Custom Commands and how to put them on the tool bar.  I have to walk them through it to then find out they had no solution on how to retain them as Versions update.

Again thanks for your expertise.