Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Birthdate Field -- Also Using Excel to Import Dates to ACT!

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Custom Birthdate Field -- Also Using Excel to Import Dates to ACT!

Issue #1:  I need Client B'day and Spouse B'day in the Contact record.  When I created a new field, I did not get a "date" option on the drop down list for the field.  I went ahead and simply called it "character"  and gave it field format "##/##/####."  This doesn't work all that well because it drops information if you put in "3" instead of "03" for month. Any idea why this happened and how I may be able to fix it?  

Issue #2:  We happen to have client info on Excel already so we can save some time by importing.  What format should I use on Excel for the dates?  Should we leave them as 03/01/08? or should they be 030108 and ACT! will separate in date format?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author whiteoak
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Custom Birthdate Field -- Also Using Excel to Import Dates to ACT!

Under Tools|Define Fields  Click on Create new field.  In the field data type drop down menu, Date is the third option from the top.

Now go into Tools|Design Layouts|Contact  and go into the layout designer.  Now add your new field to the layout.

Save it. Now go back into ACT.  Your new birthday field now has a drop down calendar.

Matt

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author whiteoak
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Under Tools|Define Fields  Click on Create new field.  In the field data type drop down menu, Date is the third option from the top.

Now go into Tools|Design Layouts|Contact  and go into the layout designer.  Now add your new field to the layout.

Save it. Now go back into ACT.  Your new birthday field now has a drop down calendar.

Matt

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Thank you.  I was hoping I could salvage the old field with the information already input.  Oh, well.  I will retest doing the import from Excel today.  Boy, am I glad our needs within ACT! are simple. 
Nickel Contributor

and I just played around with the export feature in ACT.  I exported a contact into a tab delineated text file and the birthday field came out in the ##/##/#### format. 

Ive never dealt with importing data from excel but it would seem logical that the above format would be the correct one.  perhaps you have to export to tab del file in excel and then import into ACT?

Matt

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

My original test import from Excel was from a tab delimited file (not being real computer savvy, I'm impressed with myself for knowing this) and I see your logic that says if the date field exports from ACT! as ##/##/####, then it should read and understand the import info if presented with the same format. I've got a few other (ACT!) things to work on this afternoon but want to do another test today.  Thank you for your interest.  Many times it helps when someone can confirm what I'm thinking or doing.      

I figured out why I wasn't getting the date and phone format as options under field type.  My method to create a custom field was to copy an exisitng field.  It seemed to be an efficient means to get the boxes to be a uniform size.  However, I was indiscriminate as to what field/box I copied.  My guess is that I should have picked a field that was already formatted as date or phone.  Live and learn. As I mentioned earlier, your input certainly helps spur my thinking.  Thanks.

Nickel Contributor

I also had that issue about trying to match sizes of windows and such.  When im creating layouts now and want to add another box under or next to another and insure they end up being the same size, I make sure the properties window (Press F4 or look under View in the layout designer) is open and visible.

Now, I add a new field and drag the window to approximately the place and size i want. Now I click on an adjacent field window of the actual size i want and in the properties window I notethe size and location at the bottom of the list. i then g back to the field window I just added and in the same properties window, i manually change the size to match the window im trying to copy.

Also note that you can use te arrow keys to make minute adjuestments to window position.

I know this all seems like it may not be all that efficient but it is much easier to do than it is to write out.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Thanks.  I'll keep that method in mind.