Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Activity Icon for ACT 9

Custom Activity Icon for ACT 9

I created custom activities and icons to go with them. When I schedule one of the custom activities the icon will show up on the activities tab and the task list, but when I clear the activity the icon will not show up on the history tab. The custom icon is replaced by the icon for email. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the custom icon to appear in the history tab?

Thanks

Re: Custom Activity Icon for ACT 9

I have the same problem.  When I created a new activity with a new icon, I see it in my activity tab, but not in my history
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi, I've got the same bug also. I rang our ACT Consultants (before I realised how much they were charging!) but they had no solution. That's my one big gripe about ACT is their refusal to provide patches for known bugs, instead suggesting that you buy the upgrade. I expect to get more than one year's service out of my software. When I reported this ACT9 was the latest version.
Nickel Elite Contributor

I just checked the latest version of the ACT! program and it still works the same. Without examining the design documents, there isn't any way to know if it is a bug or not. Specifically a bug is when the program is not working as designed. The best thing you can do is make a feature request.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Roy,

Surely if you can load a custom icon when you create a custom activity, that icon should attach to that activity type wherever it appears, be it calendar, activities or history. The fact that it doesn't and replaces it with the email icon sometimes to me constitutes a BUG. I stand by my comments about patches for known bugs in current software - see my postings on the Country Code bug in phone numbers in ACT9, which is also very irritating. They have fixed it for ACT10, so why can't we have the patch for ACT9????

Thanks for your interest in this posting.

Cheers,  Graham

Nickel Elite Contributor

I checked both ACT! 10 and 11 and there is no change in behavior, the icon does not carry over. If the design documents do not call for it to act the way you want it to IT IS NOT A BUG, it is working as designed. Frankly I don't know if it is a bug or not nor do you. Behavior must be specifically built into a program and if the design document does not call for a particular behavior it likely won't happen. Regardless, if you ever expect to see it change, make a feature request.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Roy, thanks for checking ACT10 and 11, I obviously don't have access to those.

OK, so it's not a bug, then it's a design fault. There is no logical reason to have the ability to load custom icons only to have them default to the Email icon on the History Tab. Why the Email icon, why not the To Do icon? Still smells very buggy to me. When I was a Systems Analyst a program that did not behave as expected had a bug, whether it was a systems/design error or a programming error. The Custom icons have not been programmed to appear correctly in all the places they might be used i.e. history. Whether the programmer coded it incorrectly or the Systems Analyst omitted to specify it only determines whether it is a bug or a fault. It certainly doesn't warrant elevating it to the status of a Feature. However, if it is the only way to get something done about it then I will put in a "Feature Request". However if it becomes a Feature then that obviates the need to provide a patch, and justifies saying "If you want that, buy the upgrade." Don't get me wrong, I like ACT and it generally works well for me but I hope you can understand where we are coming from with issues like this that appear to the user as support issues.

Are you currently Beta testing ACT? maybe you could report this inconstency with the Custom icons as an issue??

Thanks again for taking the time to discuss this.

Regards,

Graham.