Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Current File Type?

Current File Type?

The original ACT made use of a "Flat File" database. Is it still using the flat file structure or is it now a "Relational" database structure?
Copper Contributor

Re: Current File Type?

Hi Arthur,

Since version 7.0 (2005) ACT! uses Microsoft SQL... a relational database.

jason
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007

Since I am currently using Act Ver6.0, will I be able to purchase the latest version of Act and import all my current data files into it?
Nickel Elite Contributor

Yes, the latest version of ACT! will convert your ACT! 6 database.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

BTW: The definition of a Relational database can vary depending on who you talk to.

For a basic definition of having tables that link to each other, even ACT! 6.0 supports this in the way it deals with History and Group (even though the tables are in different files)

To the full definition of the 12 rules of relational databases by Codd... and I don't think any commercial database complies with all 12 (I think Pick came closest)

ACT! (since 7.0) does use MS SQL, which is regarded as an RDBMS, but you can't define your own relationships between the tables.

The benefit to ACT! of SQL over the CodeBase in 3.0-6.0 is scalability... ie that it can handle larger volumes of data and concurrent users without a performance impact