Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Currency fields in ACT appear as number fields in Crystal Reports

Master Commentator

Currency fields in ACT appear as number fields in Crystal Reports

Hello,

I just noticed that a field set up as currency (for example the Total field in the Opportunity table in ACT, via the Define fields dialog box) has the number format in Crystal Reports 2008.

Is there a way to have currency fields in ACT have the currency data type in Crystal Reports?

Thank you

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Currency fields in ACT appear as number fields in Crystal Reports

A currency field in the database specifies formatting to the ACT! program but the actual field in the database is a number field.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Check the field size in the crystal report.  If the field is displaying like "#########", enlarge the field on the report to display all the data.  This is crystal's method of saying the field is too small.

C. Joseph Keesey III, MCAD ACC
ACT! Certified Consultant®
Microsoft Certified Application Developer®

SystemsNet
Master Commentator

hello,

Yes, I understand that in ACT, currency values are stored with a number format, instead of the currency format.

I was wondering why and if there was an easy way to have Crystal recognize them as currency automatically, which would save time when creating reports, because I would not have to select the dollar sign option in Crystal for these fields all the time.

Roy_Laudenslage wrote:
A currency field in the database specifies formatting to the ACT! program but the actual field in the database is a number field.

Master Commentator

The fields are not displaying with pound signs. I was shocked that the currency values did not automatically have a dollar sign in the report. When I looked at the data type in ACT, I saw that they were numeric fields instead of currency fields. This just adds more work when creating a report because I have to manually add the $. For testing purposes, I'm using the sample datbase that comes with ACT! because I haven't finished setting up the live one. In the one that I'm setting up, I will use the currency field type for currency values.

I guess I don't see the point in having a currency data type option and not use it in the sample database. You know what I mean.

jkeesey wrote:

Check the field size in the crystal report.  If the field is displaying like "#########", enlarge the field on the report to display all the data.  This is crystal's method of saying the field is too small.

Copper Contributor

To answer your question no their is no way.  Even though your setting up the currency format, sql server does not have a currency type that would assist with this translation.

C. Joseph Keesey III, MCAD ACC
ACT! Certified Consultant®
Microsoft Certified Application Developer®

SystemsNet
Tuned Listener

Have you considered using Stonefield Query for ACT! to write reports for yourself or your customers. This issue can easily be resolved in Stonefield Query. For more information: http://www.stonefieldquery.com/Solutions/ACT.aspx
Jason Okrepkie
Channel Account Manager
Stonefield Software, Inc.
jason@stonefieldquery.com
http://www.stonefieldquery.com
Copper Contributor

Looks like a feature for Sage to license and incorporate into the standard product.

Platinum Elite Contributor

But, for many reports, they are easier to read with the $ for a list of values and just having the $ for the total.

This way it's all in the control of the report designer :-)