Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Crystal Reports and Act - Activities

Copper Contributor

Crystal Reports and Act - Activities

I have managed to get Crystal Reports to talk to Act 2008. I am looking at the tables that are available and don't see any Activity table. My notes is called VRP_CONTACT_NOTES so I am thinking that there should be a VRP_CONTACT_ACTIVITY. Anyone any idea how I get to report on the information contained in Activities? Ta!
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Crystal Reports and Act - Activities

The Actifvities are not revealed to the OLEDB provider. The is an addon provider called the crystal clear provider that does make the activities available.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Activities and Group membership are the two obvious tables missing from the OLEDB provider.

You can get access to them either with http://www.crystalclearreports.com/ or the ACTReader utility

You might also make a request for this in a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

I know as soon as I write this many will jump right on it for being negative, but quite frankly after using ACT now for 4 years, I really don't care.  This is the EXACT issue I was looking for, and to find out that ACT hides these Activity tables from other providers is not only frusturating, but it pushes me even further away from this product.  The reason people don't want to buy the add-ons, not that they shouldn't have already been included as features of the main product, but Sage is too worried about upsetting their "Certified Consultants" to improve their product, is because the add-ons are SLOW.  When you have a database of 65,000 contact records and company records, you will not tell  me it's SQL slowing this product down.  Not when Crystal Reports can run a more complex report by connecting through OLEDB in a fraction of the time any of the add-ons can.  Trust me I've tried about 15 of them, they are poorly written.  And while I know this isn't the right forum to possibly express this, I've absolutely had it with this product's b.s. and the way the consutlants are allowed to nickle and dime the customer base, and yes, I will take this comment straight to the developers too.  If this product doesn't change course, it's no wonder people are switching to Salesforce.  I used to be a huge advocate for this product, but it's crap like this right that has really turned me against it, and then consultants answer, "maybe you should apply for it as a new feature."  A NEW FEATURE??? It's a database BASIC that should be there all along, not to have to request it be added back into view!

Platinum Elite Contributor

It's not that it's negative, it's that it's wrong. The Certified Consultants have been begging for this ability in the OLEDB interface since version 7.0

And now - ACT! 2010 has OLEDB2, which does include the activities

But, even before that, activities could be access with the Premium versions of ACT! using the ODBC driver and the actReader utility

See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/05/connecting-pieces-of-social-media.html

And, if you want to have a way to speed up ACT! (especially if using a lot of activities), try this:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/06/improve-calendar-performance-in-act-and.html

Copper Contributor

I'm hooking up ACT! 2010 with CR 8.5 and found that many fields such as addresses fields, and even contact/company fields are created as memo fields. Am i seeing the wrong field definitions with this old CR version or are those fields created as memo fields?

The disadvantage of having these fields defined as memo fields is that the memo fields cant be used as a parameter field in CR. This already make reporting in CR less advantageous.

appreciate some comments. thanks.