Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Critique my Sync Plans??

Critique my Sync Plans??

Hi folks.  I am a long time ACT user, but am trying my hand at synchronizing databases for the first time.  Are there any glaring issues I am missing here:

Notes

• Small business of 3 employees (possible 4 in future)
  • One person is an office manager/ owner
  • One person (me) is a sales manager/ owner and a sales person (with a territory)
  • One person is simply a sales person (with a territory)
  • All parties using ACT 2011
  • Plan to use LogMeIn Hamachi VPN For Remote Synchronization
  • Parent database has aproximately 8,000 contacts
  • Sales person Remote databases should be about 300 contacts (filtered by State fields and ID/Status fields)

Objective

To synchronize Remote databases (sales people, sales manager, and office manager) with the Parent database. 

• When anyone adds a contact to a Remote database, it is also added to the Parent.
  • When anyone changes contact info on a Remote database, it is also changed on the Parent.
  • When anyone adds notes, opportunities, groups, etc to a contact on a Remote database, they are added to the contact on the Parent.
  • When anyone deletes a contact in a Remote database, it is NOT deleted from the Parent.
  • When a contact is added to the Parent database (via sync of their Remote), it is added to all appropriate Remotes (if new contact follows sync set rules).

Implementation

There are 3 Remote database types and 3 Sync Sets.  One of the databases will be duplicated so there will be a total of 4 databases (2 exactly the same) within the company.  Here is the breakdown:

• Two duplicate "Master Remote" databases use the "All Contacts Sync Set."  This sync set synchronizes all contacts in the Parent with the Remote.  These "Master Remotes" would reside with the two owners.  I am an owner and will have the Parent on my machine so maybe that is redundant to have both a Parent and a Remote with the same thing?  Was going to keep the Parent in a separate folder so I will never accidently mess with it... only the Remote.
  • "Northern Territory Remote" database uses "Northern Territory Sync Set."  This sync set synchronizes select contacts (based on State fields, ID/Status fields, and others).  This Remote would reside with a salesperson.
  • "Southern Territory Remote" database uses "Southern Territory Sync Set."  This sync set synchronizes select contacts (based on State fields, and ID/Status fields).  This Remote would reside with a salesperson.

What do you guys think?  Is this even achievable using the Hamachi method?  Am I missing anything major?

Copper Contributor

Re: Critique my Sync Plans??

[ Edited ]

My question is why use the VPN Hamachi?  A sync server with an outward facing port NAT to your internal ACT server works just fine.  Now if you wanted to support ipad or smartphone then you would have them log in to their laptops or desktops via logmein (the desktop / laptop then syncs via the LAN)

• When anyone deletes a contact in a Remote database, it is NOT deleted from the Parent.

Good luck with this one.   Not sure how you would implement this.

• "Northern Territory Remote" database uses "Northern Territory Sync Set."  This sync set synchronizes select contacts (based on State fields, ID/Status fields, and others).  This Remote would reside with a salesperson.
  • "Southern Territory Remote" database uses "Southern Territory Sync Set."  This sync set synchronizes select contacts (based on State fields, and ID/Status fields).  This Remote would reside with a salesperson.

Make sure you can actually create the sync set you want using advanced query (check the preview window for the desired remote user contact view).  Otherwise you might have to set access levels on individual contacts.

ACT 2010 Core Certified

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply. I only chose VPN Hamachi since it looked like others were using it here... and it is free. Are there downfalls of going that route. Is there a free "sync server with an outward facing port NAT to my internal ACT server?" Wouldnt that mean my computer/ laptop has to remain on in order for others to sync?

To clarify:  I operate off of a laptop myself and we do not have any dedicated servers within our company.

Thanks!

Copper Contributor

Oops!  I am posting in the non ACT premium area here, my mind is thinking about how you would sync using a LAN sync server (ACT Premium)

Pretty sure Hamachi will work just fine to sync.

ACT 2010 Core Certified