Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating new database with multiple users

Creating new database with multiple users

I am a new user.  We have ACT10.  We are verifying and entering data from old Lotus Organizer.  I have a college intern who created the new database one her hard drive with backup stored on our server.  She is entering from one work station and I want a second user to enter information as well from a second work station.  When the second user tries to "restore back up" on her workstation, she is asked for a user name and password.  No user name or password have been established in the course of setting up the database.  Is there a default user name & password?  How can I reset the user name & password?  Is there something I can do to simplify this process?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Creating new database with multiple users

There are a couple of issues; you created a user name when you created the database. If you don't remember, go to Tools | Define Users and can see the user name there. If you did not add a password when you created the database, just leave that field blank.

The way you worded your post, I assume that you only have the one license for the ACT! program. To have two users share the database you will need to buy a second license. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

How do I get additional licenses, and how much are they?

When I read the website information prior to purchasing, I understood the program to be accessible to multiple workstations with the database hosted on the server.  I don't want to end up with multiple versions of our contacts and calendars.  We're trying to consolidate the information with one control point but accessible to all to view.  Will ACT work in this fashion?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Sharing the database is possible but to share the database, you need to have a separate license for each named user. One way to acquire additional licenses for the ACT! program is to buy additional copies of the program. If you know how many licenses you need, you can purchase a multilicense copy of the ACT! program.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Unfortunately for me, I thought that is what I had done.